Do CA cichlids really need caves?

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
I kept a FM (4") alone for a few months in a 29g with a cave and a small school of tetras, as I was told caves would help him feel safe.

I shuffled some stock around and moved some tanks, so he ended up with a female convict (2") and a male JD (4") in a 4' tank. I noticed how aggressive the FM was towards the other cichlids. Never any damage, just chasing. He staked out pretty much the entire bottom of the tank, which has multiple artificial and rock/driftwood caves. This was setup for a few months.

The other day I wanted to re-arrange the decor, so I took everything out. It was at this time that I had to leave unexpectedly for half of the day, so they were cave-less and pretty much decor-less for that entire time. When I came back, I noticed how calm the tank was. The 3 cichlids were swimming around, not even really acknowledging each other. No fin damage during that time. I watched them for about half an hour, and the FM still acted like the boss, as he'd make a biting motion when a fish got near him, but nothing like the chasing away from his caves.

So, it got me thinking, and I found a few different random articles online mentioning how some people keep their larger community CA/SA cichlid tanks with minimal decor so no one really develops any territory. I also went by a few LFS, who have 55g and multiple 150g setups with cichlids, and most had minimal decor.

Articles are usually hit/miss, and they were from various websites. I'd like to ask those of you here at MFK whom have actually kept CA/SA for many years in as small as 30g up to as large as 300g and more.

Are caves really needed in tanks with multiple cichlids?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Interesting read, though personally I'd probably be bored as hell watching that type of tank; I like to see fish interact with their surroundings I.e. caves etc

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
To answer your question no, they are not needed. But there are so many variables. You could have caves and it not matter. You could also have no caves and a dominant CA cichlid could claim the whole tank anyways so it all depends on your individual fish and tank size.

vinod_uthaiah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
India , Bangalore
To answer your question no, they are not needed. But there are so many variables. You could have caves and it not matter. You could also have no caves and a dominant CA cichlid could claim the whole tank anyways so it all depends on your individual fish and tank size.
Totally agree.....depends on the fish, cave or no cave

Sent from my GT-I9105 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Small juveniles need it less than adults with reproduction capability. Unfortunately, when someone finds out they need caves, territories, added foliage, it's sometimes after a fish or two is dead. As long as you are paying attention you should be able to add stuff before it becomes lethal. It's certainly possible for some fish to coexist with limited territories depending on species, history, tank size and the individual fish. Nothing about your question has an absolute certainty to it. In a large enough tank, many species that will be lethal in a too small tank will get along fine and even swim together. (Even more as young specimens.)

I have kept a number of different cichlids that got along fine with territories until they didn't. At that point they had to be separated.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
It depends on the sp. you keep. A lot are territorial so a prime spot might include a hiding spot to stay clear from predators or to attract mates to protect fry. Sometimes caves can cause fights but some help reduce them. Some of my cichlids never hide and some I rarely see.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
My display sa/ca tank has 2 caves, one for my BGK and another where my large pleco used to live (rip). So to answer your question: no I do not believe that they need caves; however it may help in the long run to have breaks in line of sight to help curve aggression.

Drift wood, large stones, plants (real or fake) not only look good in a tank but seem to help as well. With the mix that I have I honestly thought I'd see more aggression but I guess the decor along with a few rodeo clowns (dithers of your choice) you can achieve a certain level of comfort for your fish.

...it goes without saying that some fish (especially cichlids), no matter what you may do, can end up with serious attitude problems that keep them from peaceful co-habitation.

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
they aint gonna die with out a cave , but they need a cave like you need a bed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store