New to Rays

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Hi there I've recently become a very big fan of stingrays and have decided to do some research. From what I've found they are a challenge to keep and not for beginners. I've been in the hobby for about 4 years and have kept everything from goldfish, to Africans, to tropical community, to large growing catfish and even saltwater reef. I would like some info on what you would view as the easiest out of the freshwater stingrays to keep and which are the smaller varieties

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
you have more experience than me in fishkeeping so you'll do fine. It was a trial and error for me and wasted a few $ks on the drain.

in AUS the most common is motoro. don't buy too young puppies. if you can see the parents for their looks the better. a good seller will feed the pups infront of you - make sure it eats. if you have spare $$$$$ you can venture to the other variants of rays available.

Males don't get big about 45cm but still you will need a wide tank.

there's a lot of info on stickies here so just browse it.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Smallest and cheapest ray is the brazilian hystrix. Great starter ray, kind of hard to find, and other rays are commonly mislabeled as hystrix so be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Smallest and cheapest ray is the brazilian hystrix.
I would have to full disagree with this statement as scobina are smaller than hystrix and retics are about the same size and least expensive. Unless you are talking by AU standards...

MEDHBSI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2011
Coquitlam BC
motoro is the typical first ray
Get a super large tank 6'x4'x2' high as a minimum or buy true hystrix rays as they don't get very big but will still require a tank pretty big because all rays produce an enormous amount of ammonia.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Is there Bio load exaggerated? I know its probably a lot because of there size but what makes a 20 inch ray so different then a 20 inch Cichla for example?

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
I think when people say they're hard to keep and for the more experiences keeper it is a redundant statement because any new aquatic venture is new and therefore we're probably not that clued up, ultimately if you keep water biologically clean and to their requirements I can't see what will go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Rays don't handle stress as well as other fish plus they need lots of food. Most people are not ready to handle their bio load or the water changes required to keep them healthy. Nor are the ready for the food bill.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Get some motoros and raise them up until you can upgrade or rehome them. They are hardy, inexpensive, and should be fairly available. If you can keep them healthy and happy then spending more cash on a ray won't seem like such a big deal. Are fw rays even legal in AU though? I would think that they could survive in the wild so they may be banned...?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store