Finally going salt and I need Help

BigCountry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I ordered my chaeto via Ebay. To support the fellow reefers etc. :D LFS wanted too much...

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
You would have to purchase this algae; many LFS's have it for cheap (<$5) as it grows very fast. The AC110 is big enough, but you could buy a hang-on refugium if you want to go bigger; it's worth noting that the hang-on ones can get expensive, so it might just be easier to use what you have.

I haven't come across the skimmer/refugium combo before, so I'm curious as to who makes them. I'

not sure as to which Reef Octopus you should get as I'm not familiar with that brand, but I can say that
you'll want one that's rated for more than your aquarium's volume, if possible.
cool i was looking at one that does 150gal but unsure if that was enough, I will be buying it tomorrow so hopefully some body can refer me to the perfect HOB Skimmer that works like a champ

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
hey wanted to know if a HOB reef octopus 300bh thats rated for a 135 gallon tank would be good for my 125 gal FOWLR, my stock will be just a Clown trigger and a red flag grouper, and maybe a snowflake eel. Oh and the skimmer has to be a HOB

BigCountry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Yes that skimmer will do just fine. Just remember the HOBs will be a tad loud. That skimmer will start working almost immediately though. :D That's a good one. You will get a good surface skim also.

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
Yes that skimmer will do just fine. Just remember the HOBs will be a tad loud. That skimmer will start working almost immediately though. :D That's a good one. You will get a good surface skim also.
Ok i am going to purchase the bh 2000 reef octopus , however this is my issue it's only rated for 120gal and my tank is 125gal. Will the clown trigger and the red flag grouper have to much of a bio-load for that skimmer?

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Get the biggest skimmer that you can afford, and adjust your stocking accordingly.

Personally, I would go for a smaller species of trigger as the clown triggers can get pretty big (20") and will exceed the width of the aquarium when fully grown; species such as the Niger trigger and the Humu Picasso trigger would work better in this case. The red flag grouper should be fine, and you might be able to add an eel as well if you have good enough filtration (including the skimmer).

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
Sounds good I will get either the 2000 bh or the dual 300bh ,if possible can someone tell me the difference between one skimmer having one skimmer and the other has two pumps for some reason

Get the biggest skimmer that you can afford, and adjust your stocking accordingly.

Personally, I would go for a smaller species of trigger as the clown triggers can get pretty big (20") and will exceed the width of the aquarium when fully grown; species such as the Niger trigger and the Humu Picasso trigger would work better in this case. The red flag grouper should be fine, and you might be able to add an eel as well if you have good enough filtration (including the skimmer).

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
If you get an undulated trigger then you will probably wind up with just one fish in your tank as they are one of the nastiest triggers you can get...When I was into salt,and triggers I picked up a nice sized undulata for a grand total of ten bucks because it was turned in to the store by an owner who got tired of it killing off his fish and the store owner wanted to quickly be rid of it as well....It's still one of my favorite triggers and I knew how they were when I got mine,just wanted to warn you in case you haven't read up on them.

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
I heard about their attitude, and how at times you can get one who doesn't allow tank mates. I might just get a Picasso trigger or just do a grouper tank not sure yet

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
If you get an undulated trigger then you will probably wind up with just one fish in your tank as they are one of the nastiest triggers you can get...When I was into salt,and triggers I picked up a nice sized undulata for a grand total of ten bucks because it was turned in to the store by an owner who got tired of it killing off his fish and the store owner wanted to quickly be rid of it as well....It's still one of my favorite triggers and I knew how they were when I got mine,just wanted to warn you in case you haven't read up on them.
My undulate trigger is a big baby and hides all day, but it seems to be the exception to the rule; it doesn't even boss around the damsels even though its four times their size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store