Want Some Opinions

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
So before I lost 5 fish in my 20H (24"x12"x16") I knew I had to upgrade because it was overstocked. I'm still getting another tank to upgrade at least some of the fish to though. The tank I'm getting is a 30L (36"x12"x16"). Which of these stocks would you guys go with?

Option 1)

In the 20H:
4 Redside Dace
4 Silverjaw Minnows
2 Bluefin Killifish
2 Swamp Darters
Sand Substrate
Sponge Filter for Filtration
Rock Pile for Decor
Hornwort and Water Sprite for Plants
No additional equipment

In the 30L:
6-8 Blacknose Dace
2 Greenside Darters
Another 7-8 Riffle Inhabiting Darters
Gravel Substrate
Rock Piles and Driftwood for Decor
No Plants
Powerhead for increased flow

Option 2)

In the 20H:
4 Blacknose Dace
2 Greenside Darters
2 Rainbow Darters
Another 2-3 Riffle Inhabiting Darters
Gravel Substrate
Rock Piles and Driftwood for Decor
No Plants
No additional equipment

In the 30L:
6 Redside Dace
6 Silverjaw Minnows
2 Bluefin Killifish
2 Swamp Darters
possibly another pair of darters
Sand Substrate
Rock Piles for Decor
Hornwort and Water Sprite for Plants
No additional equipment

So which option would you guys do? I think they both sound good and I'm having a hard time deciding.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm kind of leaning towards option 1 right now since I think a long tank is slightly better for a true riffle habitat. Anyone have any ideas how to catch 2 Greenside darters (2" and 2.5") out of my 20H with dozens of neatly arranged hiding spots without tearing the tank and plants apart? Here's a picture of the tank so you can see the nightmare I'm going to have to deal with :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Definitely doing option one I've decided. I've changed up the stocks a bit though.

20H:
3 Redside Dace
3 Silverjaw Minnows
2 Bluefin Killifish
2 Swamp Darters
2 Brown Darters

30L:
4 Blacknose Dace
4 Longnose Dace OR another 2 Blacknose Dace
2 Greenside Darters
1 Logperch
2 Rainbow Darters
2 Banded Darters
2 more riffle inhabiting darters

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
. Anyone have any ideas how to catch 2 Greenside darters (2" and 2.5") out of my 20H with dozens of neatly arranged hiding spots without tearing the tank and plants apart?
how many hours do you have? if you aren't willing to sit for an hour or so patiently waiting for them to come to you...
sometimes baiting the net works.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
how many hours do you have? if you aren't willing to sit for an hour or so patiently waiting for them to come to you...
sometimes baiting the net works.
Lol I'd like to catch them in 10 minutes or so. Yeah I could try baiting.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
I liked option 1 too. The darters would appreciate the longer space in the 30 gallon. You should also consider adding some plants.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I liked option 1 too. The darters would appreciate the longer space in the 30 gallon. You should also consider adding some plants.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too about the space. I'd love to have plants but my substrate is gravel and I doubt plants would grow well in that plus having a ton of flow from a powerhead. I'll try to grow some carpet algae though for the darters to hide in :)

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Java Fern and Anubias Nana would grow, but they are not native plants. Maybe some Vallisneria?
I've had terrible luck with those two actually in my 30 tall, I somehow stunted the java fern and the Anubias just died with 10 hours of light. The green thumb for plants doesn't run in my family :). Only three plants I can successfully grow now are Hornwort, Java Moss, and Duckweed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store