Piraiba

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
A junior synonym is a name that has been assigned to a fish AFTER it has already been assigned a name. In ye olden days, it was not unusual for scientists to be unaware of a previously published description of a species. In these situations, many of these fish end up with dozens of different names. How everyone ended up calling the dourada Brachyplatystoma flavicans is beyond me, as that name doesn't go with that fish.

The description you give for quick growth to 2' does seem to rather match the jau however. Unlike Brachyplatystomas, they're quick growers. Brachys tend to grow rather slowly.

The current state of the genus Brachyplatystoma can be summed up as follows:

Brachyplatystoma filamentosum is valid.

Brachyplatystoma capapretum is valid, but only descibed in 2009. 99.9% of all 'filas' you see are actually capas. They're super easy to tell apart. Juvenile capas have spots 2-3x the size of the eye, juvenile filas have spots smaller than the eye.

Brachyplatystoma rousseauxii is valid, though they are often inexplicably called B. flavicans.

Brachyplatystoma vaillanti is valid

Brachyplatystoma juruense is valid, though some of the more attractive ones are called 'flash zebras'. The consensus is that what constitutes a flash zebra is purely in the eye of the beholder.

Brachyplatystoma tigrinum is commonly called 'tigrinus' due to its previous name of Merodontotus tigrinus. It was later rolled up under Brachyplatystoma since, well, it is one.
Wow amazing post. Thanks so much, this is really cool. So is there an actual flavicans or is it always rousseauxii? I couldn't get past the beautiful purple glow on it. I know it loses it, but still would be loads of fun to grow out if it wasn't a ginormous fish with a mouth that could eat any of my other fish. Is there any you would suggest that top up at a size i could comfortably hold in a 400 gal for a while? I tried a tig, grew it out from 1.5 inches to 12, but then it died during a power outrage, the only fish to die, it hurt cuz that was an awesome fish.

What's a Jau and dourada then?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I wrote that up last night after I had already had my pain pills for the evening. I just realized that I left out Brachyplatystoma platynemum.

I'll answer your other questions in a bit more detail from my PC tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Wow amazing post. Thanks so much, this is really cool. So is there an actual flavicans or is it always rousseauxii?
It's always rousseauxii. Brachyplatystoma flavicans is not a recognized, proper name for any catfish.

I couldn't get past the beautiful purple glow on it. I know it loses it, but still would be loads of fun to grow out if it wasn't a ginormous fish with a mouth that could eat any of my other fish. Is there any you would suggest that top up at a size i could comfortably hold in a 400 gal for a while?
Tig, Jur and Slob (platynemum) would all work.

Brachyplatystoma platynemum is very similar to tigs and jurs. It does the tripod thing like them, but it gets a bit bigger overall. It would work in a 400 for a very long time however as they're fairly slow growing. Either a tig or a jur could likely live their entire life in there. It's called a 'slobbering catfish' because apparently someone thought that their large barbels looked like slobber. I don't know that I agree with that, but whatevs. I like calling them 'slobs' lol

What's a Jau and dourada then?

A Jau is Zungaro zungaro or Zungaro jahu. Think of them as redtail catfish with less attractive colors and a meaner disposition and you've got a really good idea of how the look, act and grow. A dourada is Brachyplatystoma rousseauxii, a fish closely related to B. filamentosum. If not for the filas, it is the species from South America that everyone would be talking about when the mention huge SA catfish. They are quite attractive IMO because they look like their skin is beaten silver or gold.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I've been doing a lot more research, mostly looking at your posts / discussions tbh. Any idea on the growth rate of the rousseauxii? I mean if the Brachyplatystoma family can be slow growing, is the rousseauxii a viable option for a 400 gal for a period of 3-4 years or so? Something draws me to them more then the Capa and fila, if i can find a 6-7 inch specimen i think i may take a shot at it if i can afford it. If I can't, I'll take another shot at a tig, November seems to be a good month for their availability. Thanks a lot for elaborating, i love being able to add some info to the old encyclopedia I'm compiling in the back of my brain (very short edition so far in comparison). Is the platynemum the one they call a 747 cat?

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
I've been doing a lot more research, mostly looking at your posts / discussions tbh. Any idea on the growth rate of the rousseauxii? I mean if the Brachyplatystoma family can be slow growing, is the rousseauxii a viable option for a 400 gal for a period of 3-4 years or so? Something draws me to them more then the Capa and fila, if i can find a 6-7 inch specimen i think i may take a shot at it if i can afford it. If I can't, I'll take another shot at a tig, November seems to be a good month for their availability. Thanks a lot for elaborating, i love being able to add some info to the old encyclopedia I'm compiling in the back of my brain (very short edition so far in comparison). Is the platynemum the one they call a 747 cat?

From here and other forums, they have contradicting views regarding growth. Some say fast some say slow.

For my experience, growth isn't fast (my baseline for fast is from a silver arowana to a. Gar) but not that slow either (slow being an irwini imo). I've had him for a little over two weeks now and there is noticeable growth. Its not an inch growth but it is noticable enough to lead me to think that it may grow an inch on its first month with me.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store