CA SA ideal set up?

Mad wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Syracuse New York
I've been keeping fish for around 20 years. I was doing some research the other day, and was thinking.... Jeez!? Are my Cichlids pleased with the layout of my tanks? What is best for CA and SA Cichlids as far as interior tank surroundings? Rocky, shale, driftwood, sandy bottom, rocky bottom, gravel, just glass??? I have my current set ups with a mix, but is it correct?

AJD4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Wyoming
Personally my experience they love covered caves and sand bottoms but are okay with gravel but like sand better I go to my lfs and buy lava rock and just build a ton of caves or I go to a river and get some river rock and stack it so they have a lot of caves! The like sand because they will move it around so there cave is more a fit for them. And I like the look better hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
I think you're doing well with a mix. Many cichlids like to have territories and a mix gives them options. If it has worked well for you over 20 years - go with it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I would say the best set up should be one that replicates the biotope or particular niche in which the species question evolved. As an example most Goes for instance would do best with an open area and a sand substrate so they can sift around all day, Discus would do better in a low current tank and tank mates that don't out compete them for food along with some drift wood and subdued lighting. Amphilophus species could use a slightly higher Ph with some gravel they can plow into a pile at one end of the tank and few if any decorations. So IMO there is no "best" all around set up there is only a "best" for a particular specie or species form the same area with similar and compatible needs. Aggression, food preferences, water parameters, cover and or lack there of, current fat or slow etc. all come into play when trying to determine what is "best".

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I do planted tank with my Jag tank (I'll upload video or post pictures after things got established), I using small black gravel and most my plants are Java Fern, Anubias, Red Tiger Lotus, Red Ludwigia Repens, Staurogne Repens for foreground cover (this is tough cause of their digging habit but not impossible to get it done), I creating caves by stacking driftwood, my Jag actually love lurking between plants like a real Jaguar in the wood/forest :D I love that sence! At the end it's your enjoyment so if it look good and you feel good about it then keep it that way :D

Edit: Golden Pothos on top of my tank to dim out some of the light.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
provide them with a decent size tank, some cover(rock work, wood work, plants, cave, etc), some open area to freely move around, and call it a day.

HrHagel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
Denmark
Try checking out some of Lee's tanks on youtube

He also has a couple videos of how to set them up i believe

here's one

[YT]axE5GeXqAqc[/YT]

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Here is a quick shot overall of my Jags tank, it's not complete yet cause some plants take forever to grow! My Red Tiger Lotus gonna take few more weeks to get its strength to show its potential.
http://

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Here is a quick shot overall of my Jags tank, it's not complete yet cause some plants take forever to grow! My Red Tiger Lotus gonna take few more weeks to get its strength to show its potential.
http://
Beautiful tank! That Jag might tear that tank up as he/she gets older. I have never had a Jag over 6" that didn't rearrange a tank to his or her liking.

I still don't think anything trumps time and experience. Go with what has worked if you're not sure. You can always change it!

Biotopes are great but I would use a native Bluegill Sunfish here as an example - they live in clear cold streams with wood and rock, as well as hot muddy ponds with almost featureless bottoms. So what's the biotope? Fish adapt and sometimes we assume they will only "like" one thing, but later find out differently. As usual - my $.02.

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
provide them with a decent size tank, some cover(rock work, wood work, plants, cave, etc), some open area to freely move around, and call it a day.
^ to sum up my point!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store