Just did a water change and have a couple questions.

keithw283

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
So I just did about a 25% water change in my tank. I don't have any hoses or anything so I just used an old container and a 5 gallon bucket. Naturally, when pouring the water back in, the sand mixed up and now is all over the place. I know my filter will fix this with time but my question is, will all this sand floating around hurt the fish? My next question is, what exactly do I need to buy to do my water changes without using an old container and a 5 gallon bucket? My final question is, how can I lower my ammonia levels in my tank. It's at about .5 ppm. Someone told me a larger water change like this should do the trick.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
The sand will get a bacteria film on it that will help hold it together in the future. You could pour your new water on the rocks, or I used to put a bowl in the tank and pour over the top of it so I wasn't blasting the sand. I don't think the sandstorm will be a big problem, it can be hard on your pumps etc though. The ammonia is a big problem! More water changes or an ammonia removing additive are needed ASAP! Did you put something in the tank to start a cycle and then not fed the tank for 2 months until your levels were good? I always recommend to feed the tank every few days to make sure you are ready to go with a healthy bacterial population. My tanks always seem to take forever to get the nitrites to zero!

jstanley_06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Midwest Indiana
I agree with muttly on the stirring-up sand situation... I always pour onto something and I have gravel. fishkeeping has been my hobby for awhile now and I still am in the dark age aka still using a couple 5 gal buckets to do everything with. check out the python water change system I know dr.s foster n smith has them... do bigger water changes for your ammonia issue also find the reason for your spike. did you just put in fish? or change your feeding regiment? or how often are you doing water changes?

keithw283

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
The sand will get a bacteria film on it that will help hold it together in the future. You could pour your new water on the rocks, or I used to put a bowl in the tank and pour over the top of it so I wasn't blasting the sand. I don't think the sandstorm will be a big problem, it can be hard on your pumps etc though. The ammonia is a big problem! More water changes or an ammonia removing additive are needed ASAP! Did you put something in the tank to start a cycle and then not fed the tank for 2 months until your levels were good? I always recommend to feed the tank every few days to make sure you are ready to go with a healthy bacterial population. My tanks always seem to take forever to get the nitrites to zero!
I imagine the sand will practically be cleared up by the time I go to bed. My tank cycled fairly quickly. What ammonia removing additive would you recommend?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Dude--quit beating yourself up. Get a garden hose, PVC and some elbows, some PVC glue, and a PVC hose barb fitting. Siphon tbe water outta the tank and out into the driveway to empty half the water outta the tank. Put the hose on the outside faucet and turn it on to refill the tank.

Nobody should be carrying buckets. Or buy a Python.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
Please don't use a python to refill your marine tank :)

I python the water out, and use buckets and a pump with tubing attached to refill. Less lifting, aside from carrying buckets of saltwater upstairs...

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
The only thing you can add to the water to "help" with the ammonia is only a bandaid(at best). More water changes is what you need to do.

keithw283

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
The only thing you can add to the water to "help" with the ammonia is only a bandaid(at best). More water changes is what you need to do.

The water change helped and the ammonia is back down to zero. Will definitely be adding that to my routine. The only reason I went so long without one is because I have a friend that had a saltwater tank for over two years that never did one water change. All he did was replace the evaporated water every once in a while. He didn't even know what ammonia was when I asked him about it lol. How did he go so long with no problems but I didn't even go 2 months before I had an ammonia spike?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store