Anybody into weight lifting/body building?

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Lift heavier weights. In order to put on size do low reps with a high weight. I love seeing this topic staying fairly active.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Actually for size you need a good amount of hypertrophy. Lower rep ranges is mainly for strength. You'll get mass from lower rep ranges but it'll take longer. That's why if you watch body builders train they do high volume of sets and reps.

http://youtu.be/aY-nEcCLBdE

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Actually you need to do both. Heavy weights with low reps will strengthen slow twitch muscle fibers and low weight high rep will strengthen fast twitch muscle fibers. The key to adding size and strength is mainly muscle confusion. You wanna switch your workouts every few weeks including the days and order you do them in. This way your body will never hit a plateau and will constantly work harder. Your body likes consistency so if you're constantly switching things up, it will constantly be working differently to try to catch up to what your routine is

ChrisP75

Exodon
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Sacramento
@Awesome I agree with that, confusion is key. I have 22" arms and don't do crazy amounts of reps typically 15 is the most.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Actually you need to do both. Heavy weights with low reps will strengthen slow twitch muscle fibers and low weight high rep will strengthen fast twitch muscle fibers. The key to adding size and strength is mainly muscle confusion. You wanna switch your workouts every few weeks including the days and order you do them in. This way your body will never hit a plateau and will constantly work harder. Your body likes consistency so if you're constantly switching things up, it will constantly be working differently to try to catch up to what your routine is

I was talking specifically about mass; but yes you need both to gain size and strength. But hypertrophy is directly correlated to volume- and hypertrophy is correlated to muscle mass (size). But the general focus of aesthetics has a stronger focus on volume and therefore more easily attainable from high reps (8-15 range). Strength has a stronger focus on lower reps (3-5 range). Can you get muscle mass focusing more on strength, yes; can you gain strength focusing more on aesthetics, yes. You don't necessarily need muscle confusion. Can it help? Yes. But most elite power lifters focus around their main three lifts bench, deadlift, squat- and they focus their accessories on those 3 lifts. They mostly do the same routine repeatedly just varying intensity and volume to peak. I even provided a video on what I was talking about, did you watch it? It's from a doctor who did studies on hypertrophy and muscle gaining- who is also a competitive body builder.

Both recruit both fibers btw; but like you said bodybuilder type training will recruit both I and II more equally than powerlifting which is more fast twitch.

http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/muscle-hypertrophy

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
That's exactly how it is for me. My high reps range from 15-20 reps. Once I'm able to complete 4 sets of 20 reps without a spot or rest pause in the middle, I up the weight. Same thing goes for my low rep except mine is extremely low so I do more sets. I do 2-3 reps and 6 sets on heavy days.

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
That's exactly how it is for me. My high reps range from 15-20 reps. Once I'm able to complete 4 sets of 20 reps without a spot or rest pause in the middle, I up the weight. Same thing goes for my low rep except mine is extremely low so I do more sets. I do 2-3 reps and 6 sets on heavy days.

I'm deciding whether I want to continue with the 5 3 1 strength programming I'm on for another cycle or try the candito 6 week program

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I've never heard of the candito program but it all really depends on what your goals are cuz all programs are set for a certain goal. It's really good to try them all out though to learn all the techniques but your goal is to make your own program that works for you and your goals and incorporate all the techniques that fit your goal.

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
I don't know; I think it'd be better for majority to go with a proven program that fits their goals than try to make their own. A lot of programming is based off precise calculations of rpe/prilepins chart. And unless you do a well calculated programming it won't be as effective. I mean as a ways down the road maybe goal- but not an anytime near goal.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
That's what I'm saying about muscle confusion. If you stick to 1 program your body gets used to it and starts to plateau. At that point you'll notice very little or no gains at all. You need to keep switching things up every few weeks so that your body doesn't get used to it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store