To SUMP or Not to SUMP?

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Sumps are actually really simple.

Imagine your going to your fridge for a glass of water. Some jerk decided to drill a hole in the top of your favorite drinking glass near the rim. Now no matter how much water you pour from your pitcher - the glass is never full, it never spills over the rim, instead all the water runs out of the hole. And you can pour water all day into this glass, but it never gets quite full.

Same concept, except the spilling water runs down a pipe/hose to a reservoir and gets pumped back up to the top.

Your drains should always be able to handle way more water than your pump can return. so your pump pushes water to the tank, and it falls back down again and again and again

Lol... that makes since, but what pushes the water back up to the tank? If the power goes out will the sump overflow?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

***60 gallon with 1 Flowerhorn, 10 Mollies and 1 Musk Turtle, 4 Angelfish temporarily with my mom***

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
A submersible pump pushes the water back up.

The sump should not overflow, I'm not sure how it's setup, but being that it was a saltwater tank, I'm sure the previous owner had some amount of forethought put into it

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I'm really nervous but I think I'm gonna go for it. I still have a few weeks to think it over.

***60 gallon with 1 Flowerhorn, 10 Mollies and 1 Musk Turtle, 4 Angelfish temporarily with my mom***

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
There's not much to be nervous about. And the way it looks someone already did the hard work for you. Which is awesome, I DIY'd my whole first sump build, I drilled and plumbed it my self, I don't think anyone could've done a worse job if they tried haha.

The first sump tank is always a little daunting. But once you have one, yoyll never want to go back

Mark Allred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2015
Spring Creek, Nevada
Fill your tank, next add water to your sump. Fill it to a couple of inches above your pump suction. Run it till your water is returning to it from the tank. Shut the pump off. When the tank has finished draining back, you can see how much more you add before overflowing. You won't want to run it that full with a wet/dry,bio balls shouldn't be submerged.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Fill your tank, next add water to your sump. Fill it to a couple of inches above your pump suction. Run it till your water is returning to it from the tank. Shut the pump off. When the tank has finished draining back, you can see how much more you add before overflowing. You won't want to run it that full with a wet/dry,bio balls shouldn't be submerged.
So the pump don't stay on at all times.

Mark Allred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2015
Spring Creek, Nevada
The pump runs all the time. Shutting it off just allows you to see how full the sump will get with the power off. You can then mark a line on the sump to know you maximum top off (for evaporation).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store