Here
Yes. Especially with k1 style reactors.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
The bubbles dont oxygenate the water until they break the surface tension and exchange gasses with the atmosphere.

Its not 100% necessary unless your using some dynamic moving bed media like k1.
The circulation can't hurt anything, but it's not really vital in most cases

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
The amount that gets in water from bubbles is inconsequential.

Sent from my car phone

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
It will benefit your bio media by providing oxygen rich water, the oxygenation process mainly occurs when the bubbles break surface tension and exchange gas with the atmosphere - so the air stone would have the same benefit no matter where you placed it in the tank or sump. It wouldn't hurt to have extra water circulation in your biomedia if thats something you want to do.

Water can only hold so much oxygen. Once its saturated with oxygen thats it. most tanks are adequately oxygenated from filters and overflows. But having extra definitely does not hurt aside from the added potential of evaporation from all the bubbles.

Raul-7

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Lomita, CA
It will benefit your bio media by providing oxygen rich water, the oxygenation process mainly occurs when the bubbles break surface tension and exchange gas with the atmosphere - so the air stone would have the same benefit no matter where you placed it in the tank or sump. It wouldn't hurt to have extra water circulation in your biomedia if thats something you want to do.

Water can only hold so much oxygen. Once its saturated with oxygen thats it. most tanks are adequately oxygenated from filters and overflows. But having extra definitely does not hurt aside from the added potential of evaporation from all the bubbles.

Thanks.

I was about buy 2 air pumps and diffusers; have one going into my return pump and the other under the biomedia. But I guess one will suffice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store