Pump Dying?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I do have all my drains under the sump water level, though. First adjustment I made. Much quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Yes, definitely. My herbies are too high. They run very quiet when they're dialed in, but only after 30 minutes to an hour. They grab a little air when they first get siphon, and it takes a while to run that air out of the system. After a day, they're dead quiet and I don't touch it. But, I like to kill the pumps to feed floating foods.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I found that the lower the siphon is in the box the faster it purges air. The added pressure of the water above the pipe helps push the bubbles out. I also found the greater the distance between the emergency and siphon the more room there is to dial it in, when both pipes are too close to each other the water level has a hard time equalizing. The level can surge back and forth and never stay stable long enough to purge air in the sihpon. The only solution I found was to lower the siphon. This does suck for water draining back when the pumps are off.

I doubt your pumps are failing, it just sounds like your having minor issues with the water stabilizing in the overflow.

Its a pain but don't give up!

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
yeah, this is all new to me. this is the first sump I've ever had, first herbie system, been at it about a month or so. there's more to it than a canister filter.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Yeah! Mine is not 6 inches or lower than tbe emergency drain. More like 3-4 inches below right now. It was higher, like 2 inches lower than tbe emergency, but I had some issues, cut it lower and it helped. I saw this article, but I couldn't bring myself to cut the Herbie 6 inches lower cause of all the water that would fall in the sump during a power outage.

I'm waiting on carbon block filter for my ATO. When that comes in, and I run my drip line, I'm gonna reconsider cutting the Herbie shorter.

Once the tank level is below the weir you're only losing water in the overflow, not the entire tank unless the overflow is not sealed below the weir.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
? Tank level's above tbe weir. No problem with that. Unless I shut down tbe pumps, then tbe tank level is at the weir and tbe sump quits filling. Nah, the overflows don't leak. Can't have that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store