Smell coming from tank?`

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
+2 it's food stuck somewhere and you can't find it. incredibly nasty smell. and very hard to find.

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
I have used hikari carnivore and hikari massivore before and both of them have caused smell issues for up to a day after feeding especially if there is any uneaten food in the tank. I only feed them with the massivore once or twice a week at the most just as a treat and am very lite handed with it now.

Claudia Calvi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I have the same problem. 4 ft tank with convicts. New set up. I tested the water at the lfs and it was nearly zero ammonia, no nitrate, small amount nitrate. Ph 7.4. I have a lot of plants in there, nothing rotting, no dead fish. About 11 fish. Total length of fish is 44cm in a 220 litre tank. 29C. Guy at the fish shop said it was algae, even though not visible. Recommended algae killer. A liquid one by Apia or a block one for ponds. I tried the liquid one as I had it, from a goldfish tank problem ages ago, that was in a sonetimessunny corner. Luckily I only put 5ml in which is a bit more than half dose. All fish went still and sleepy. I panicked severely. They recovered enough after a while that I could sleep. This morning all smell is gone. The smell was not a pleasant earthy smell. It was polluting the house. The fish are not quite back to normal chasings but active enough. If you use this Apia product use way less than the recommended dose. I had done so many water changes, the fish were happy, but it stunk. 91B2AB57-54EC-45A9-A2B5-1DAD8BE1453F.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have the same problem. 4 ft tank with convicts. New set up. I tested the water at the lfs and it was nearly zero ammonia, no nitrate, small amount nitrate. Ph 7.4. I have a lot of plants in there, nothing rotting, no dead fish. About 11 fish. Total length of fish is 44cm in a 220 litre tank. 29C. Guy at the fish shop said it was algae, even though not visible. Recommended algae killer. A liquid one by Apia or a block one for ponds. I tried the liquid one as I had it, from a goldfish tank problem ages ago, that was in a sonetimessunny corner. Luckily I only put 5ml in which is a bit more than half dose. All fish went still and sleepy. I panicked severely. They recovered enough after a while that I could sleep. This morning all smell is gone. The smell was not a pleasant earthy smell. It was polluting the house. The fish are not quite back to normal chasings but active enough. If you use this Apia product use way less than the recommended dose. I had done so many water changes, the fish were happy, but it stunk. View attachment 1312166

You could possibly covered them. Also check the rim of the aquarium for food stuck there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store