NOX ICH help

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
OK in my other thread I was going the heat and salt way but pulled out because some of my fish were freaking out. I know some of you will say I should have just stuck with it but thats not what I want to discuss right now. We can do that later, thanks in advance for understanding that small wish.

So, one of the shops I use and a couple other people I know use Nox Ich.

My tank is 125 and 81 degrees. South Americans, royal pleco, silver dollars, geos, synodontis.

I did the 3 days. Fish eating and breathing better now, but still see plenty of spots on them, and they are scratching.

It says to skip a day then repeat if it dosnt work the first time.

It says nothing about water changes.

Please tell me what to do now, skip day and start over, but water change now? WHats up.

I started this separate thread because of the title, I need it to be recognized. Thanks.

DrowningFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
In a plastic castle
I use nox ich too and it's one of the best brands IMO. I follow what it says about the treatment and usually I don't change the water. Sometimes I'll change about 15% of the water after the 3 days, but in my experience it doesn't really matter either way. Hope this helps and good luck.

DrowningFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
In a plastic castle
I forgot to mention to limit the dosage because scaleless fish like your synodontis are very sensitive to it. I would also recommend changing the water for it. Hope this helps.;)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Whether using salt or a treatment like Nox Ich, it takes time, a bad case can take a month to get rid of.
Because of the life cycle of the ich parasite, treatment should last at least a couple weeks.
There are stages of ich where the protozoans are immune to treatment, and until these stages emerge (hatch out for lack of a better word), and are neutralized the disease is not gone. And the vulnerable stages, are the invisible ones, when in the fishes skin, the treatment is ineffective, the protozoans are actually protected by the fishes slime coat.
One reason we raise the temp, is to speed up the life cycle, so the vulnerable stages occur faster.
Another way to hasten cure is to vacuum the substrate, where cysts can accumulate.
Water changes are important during treatment, because low water quality adds stress to the fish, and lowers their immune response.
During treatment, I do a water changes (thoroughly vacuuming), and then add another dose of treatment.
Both treatments rely of the the ich cell wall to collapse from osmotic pressure put on it from either the increased salinity (of at least 3ppt) or toxicity of the malachite.

DrowningFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
In a plastic castle
Like duanes said, the ich parasite can only be killed in its free swimming larval form which you can't see. You can't actually kill the white cysts you see, they only disappear after bursting and releasing larval ich which go on to make more cysts. Raising the water temperature speeds up their life cycle and can reduce treatment time.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
Yeah but how warm can it be with the medication? Thanks for your replies.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You can gradually raise the temp into the mid to high 80s, but as you do, make sure you increase surface agitation, because warmer water holds less dissolved oxygen. This can be done either by adding an extra airstone or 2, or increasing pumpage to help gas exchange. Even running an extra hang on the back filter, with or without media helps.
If ich still persists after the suggested treatment period of time with Nox Ich, do a large water change, and try using salt, up to a salinity of slightly over 3ppt (parts per thousand). When I use salt, I pick up a 20lb package of water softener salt pellets from the hardware store, and gradually add handfuls to hang on the back filter without media, until my tank water conductivity/salinity meter reads slightly above 3ppt. (at 3ppt, the water will taste slightly salty)

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Nox-Ich is Malachite green and salt. Be carful about using it with scaless fish or at a high ph.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store