DIY driftwood

Dam ok

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Denver
Just a little update I scrubbed the hell out of the log an put it in a tote to soak in water. And I have to say it looks way better than I imagined. I'll post pics tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dam ok

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Denver
Ok so long over due sorry for the wait but here is the wood after weeks of scrubbing and leaching an now in my 125 gallon looking IMO great lol. What do you think

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
That really is a nice piece of driftwood. And I'm sure like the price almost as much as the look--you just found it and brought it home? That'd have cost you a couple hundred to Buy on tbe internet and ship.

Dam ok

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Denver
Yea was actually laying at my wife's mothers house in her front yard. My wife just brought it home to me one day cause she knows I've been looking an I figured I'd give it a try. It started to look really good once I took a hard brush to it so I got excited and did the whole thing till it wouldn't scrub anything off anywhere. Was quite a bit of work but beats the heck out of spending $200+ That's why my lfs want for similar size. Here is a pic of the whole tank sorry the lights arnt better I still havnt gotten around to ordering the light I want yet. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1411402773.600171.jpg

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
sooo...you found that in the yard? It looks weathered like it was underwater at one point, but thatd be reassuring if it was just from sitting outside for a long time because I have some pieces I've collected from a long standing dead tree in my yard and I want to use them but people say to only use wood found in the water.

Dam ok

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Denver
Yea it was never underwater as far as I know. Dry as a bone when I stared scrubbing it. Been in my tank for awhile now no problems no change in ph of hardness not coloring my water fish are loving it. I have to note that the wood did feel soft untill I scrubed everything loose off of it. Witch took awhile. Once nothing would scrub off the wood was very hard couldn't even make an indent in it.

dcuff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2014
United States
I collect and sell lots of driftwood. I boil them (55 gallon drum with forced air in fire pit) for 2 hours at 220f to kill all bacteria and fungus.
To remove the tannins you need to soak in water and drain often after water turns brown (like making sun tea). You can always place into your tank but you must do water changes often to remove the tannins or your water and tank turns brown.
Hope that helps!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store