Local Fish Store Best Lies

water_keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2014
ME
One of the worst I've heard was from an actually very nice, small specialty tropical fish shop, which told me that ALL fish tanks need salt, because the water is too basic here (Maine) and the salt would prevent large pH fluctuations.

joe5639

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
My lfs also told me that the morays need to eventually get salt and pointed out the aquarium salt not the marine salt lol

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I was in yesterday buying a new blood parrot to accompany my other juvenile, had some chat with the dude who was netting the fish, whereupon on glancing at the Oscars in the adjacent tank; he remarked that he had two, kept in a 38 gallon tank.

Ironically, he then assured me they both had a 38 gallon each, to give them plenty of room. Facepalm.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Phei

Feeder Fish
Jul 12, 2014
TX
When i was setting up my first 20gal community tank years ago i was told that I should add 2 mystery snails to "clean the tank". 1 month later i had to setup a seperate tank for two huhe snails. I hade to change the water every other day or the smell was unbearable and tge ammonia would spike. Dirtiest snails ever.

I was told crawfish make execellent cleaners for a cummunity tank. I guess tecnically that one is true. The tank will be cleaner once the crawfish has eaten the community!

My local pets supplies plus sells bettas that are sticks with skulls attached to them and when i asked what they were feeding they said "Nothing! If you feed them you have to change the water and we dont have time to change out 40 cups!"

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
I work at a LFS...

And most of the cases when a customer wants a fish, i tell them what I recommend based on what I know, or i look it up for them. But if a customer has made their mind set on something, they usually do it regardless of my advice, and if i tell them i don't want to sell it to them, they get all preachy.

One common thing with customers in my experience is that, if there is a fish they want that will not thrive in their small tanks, they allways say they will upgrade the tank soon. Based on the amount of people who tries to return the fish when they've outgrown the tank i've divided the displays in two.

One half of the tanks displayed is for beginners with fish that are all compatible and will do well in the smallest tank we sell, next half is for more advanced i say, but still rather easy, but wont go well in all cases with eachother or requires bigger tank, like nicaragua cichlids and such.

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
First telling someone five Oscars in a 55 was alright and second telling them they could live off food scraps and goldfish.....I had a nice talk with the employee and misinformed buyer about oscar care.

Sent from my SCH-R830C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

flyingfox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2011
CT
I'll chime in, this is going back about 20-25 years. The shady owner of a small aquarium store told me that if I bought one of his expensive Ehiem canister filters I would never have to do another water change....the guy could barely look me in the eye as he said it and I remember walking out and shaking my head....I never went back, and the place had a " mysterious fire" a year later. Im guessing he torched the place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store