Stupid Mistake from a Beginner

cacichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
FL
That sucks. I don't even trust the magnets (they have scratched my tank), so I cover them with filter socks. You don't need much force to scrape off algae from the glass anyway, even a paper napkin will do.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Is that a "don't go with acrylic" lesson?
oh, I just now saw your question.
No, I meant it as "You're not the only one messing up acrylic", so don't feel too bad.
Like aclockworkorange said, acrylic scratches can be buffed out- 'at some point'.
This is my first acrylic & didn't even realize I was scratching it, but they're not too bad. Guess it's a learning curve, and that's still preferable to the weight of glass.
No way I'd get any big glass tanks...already have a rebuilt spine. Helpers aren't always around. Lifting this 75G was a snap for me & husband. Real sure we can manage a bigger one by ourselves too.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
just buy a new 55
Lol. Wish it was that easy. No. Like I said, its my experiment tank and may I say what an exciting experiment its turning out to be! I'm a bit more level-headed than I was when I posted this and more cautious. Hopefully when I move out of my parent's house (and upgrade from starving student status) the 55 will turn into the sump on a much larger tank. That's the plan right now anyway....

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Have a 300 acrylic that gets about 1 or 2 hours of sun a day...thankfully, my albino sailfin pleco makes quick work of the algae above the sand line. I have a mag float(for arcylic) but don't trust it enough to use it still.

On the outside, I use a felt cloth(those for glasses); My mother in law used a towel and it left some microscopic scratches and I was annoyed. Thankfully those can only be these when the sun hit it just right and it shows as a rainbow...

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
At least rainbows are pretty? lol. My scratches fill up with that green algae that you just can't scrub away and when you finally do its back over night. That's the frustrating part. But, like I said, it will probably be a sump someday so I'm not too worried about it.

kissofcrimson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
www.facebook.com
Dang that sucks. Sometimes I'm cheap and just use a brand new dish sponge. Rags work too. Make sure there are no chemicals in the sponges, since some do.

Now I use magfloat, which is a magnet thing that scrapes off the algae. Very convinent and cost effective.

barberking12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
usa,
i never had a pro blem useing a razor on my glass tank and it has no scratchs to this day you just have to do it right

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store