Electrical question ?

dpk2313

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
ohio
I'm trying to install a dimmer switch, for a switched controlled outlet. The box has 2 black wires 1 neutral (white) wire and a ground. Is this a 3 way and do I have to find a common wire?

AROS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2013
Derry, NH
Doesn't sound like a 3 way. The new electric code states that we need to bring a neutral ( white wire ) to all switches, but I seen some crazy things so if there wasn't a 3 way in already the. Don't use the white only the black wires.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dpk2313

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
ohio
They were all hooked up to a regular switch for years with no issue, I replaced it with a dimmer hooked it up the same way no problems until I turned it off, as soon as I turned it off it blew

PS: This house is 108 years old, and this wiring is probably about 50 years old

dpk2313

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
ohio
Burnt through 2 switches, they both worked fine until I turned them off then they blew instantly. The old switch is back in and works fine, I don't get it

dpk2313

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
ohio
Thats what I had thought so I reversed it on the second attempt but had the same result

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
The switch was probably a pilot switch which is why there was a neutral, normal single pole single throw switches do not get a neutral. If the switch was a 3-way you'd have 3 colored wires, 1 hot or switchleg and 2 travelers going to another 3-way, unless a 3-way was used instead of a simply because thats what the electrician had on his truck and not because a 3-way was needed in which case you only need a hot and a switchleg. Dimmers very by model as to whether a neutral is needed or not. One black is your hot and the other is your switchleg.

You never switch the neutral. In homes it standad practice for 2 circuits of different phases to share a neutral, if you switch the neutral and turn the switch off you ceate an opene neutral. In this situation the neutral will carry 120v and each device on the 2 circuits are receiving 240v or 208v depending on whether the building is fed by a delta or wye on the secondary side of the transformer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store