Ebola round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
He was going to come back to Minnesota in August....Our Ebola crisis would have started in August in Minnesota if he had made it home with Ebola...

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Yes, a doctor who traveled back to the USA 10 days ago after treating ebola patients I think. They (the spokespeople of the various government agencies) keep explaining how a travel ban is not going to keep us safe, but I do not quite buy the logic. I do not see how allowing people in with only a basic screening is safer than a total ban or some sort of quarantine period?

I get that some may try to sneak in if a ban were in place. How would that happen? It should take a while longer than a few connected flights do now. Say they got to Canada or Mexico and then tried to travel overland, this would at least be more difficult and both of those countries have their own reasons for taking clear measures. Right now the whole world knows there is no entry restriction and, judging by this latest case, a screening process that does not work well.

At the very least some sort of structured quarantine protocol ought to be considered. The doctor in New York apparently self imposed but only very recently. He went bowling yesterday, is that right? A temp of 103 today?

Perhaps someone who agrees with not having a travel ban can make it more clear?

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
It is deff. not safer the way it is now. The government keeps saying crap cause if they say it long enough people might start to believe it. Or that is the only thing that is being reported by news outlets so that is all that is heard so ppl think it must be true.

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
I completely agree that this disease needs to be attacked by the world. We should not just close boarders and say good luck. But we should make it as hard as possible for ppl that could potential have the disease make it into any other country. It only take one person who thinks they have the flu walking around a busy town sneezing and what not to cause an outbreak. This is the same argument i have for put travel bans in place and investing into finding a solution to the problem.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I think the key is do both. Travel ban in itself will not keep us safe. We also has to fight the disease in Africa.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Hello; I tend to this way of thinking myself. If the outbreak can be contained in Africa then this episode will be over in a few months (42 days from the recovery of last infected person). Then it will have to move from the animal (most likely) host to a human again. The containment in Africa seems very questionable at this time but it is necessary to try.

Free travel of people to and from countries with infected people appears very risky. There is a doctor associated with Doctors Without Borders on CNN right now. He is telling how he has been to Africa and plans to go back, but does not want to face quarantine. He gives personal, financial and such for not wanting to be quarantined. I think this is the rub of the situation; he also said that doctors might not be willing to go to the infected countries if they faced a quarantine period.

So far their claim that the Ebola virus is hard to catch is holding up. Only health care workers with close contact are known to be infected outside of Africa. I do hope this claim continues to hold true. If someone gets infected from more casual contact then the whole picture changes. I mentioned this before, but the more people the virus passes thru then it is possible to become easier to infect more people and so on. The virus is moving thru a large number of people in Africa right now. In a few weeks or months it may be easier to catch. These health care workers will be traveling back and forth in shifts over this time. If it does mutate to be more virulent later on it seems possible one or more will bring it home with them. A quick screening test and/or a vaccine are things to be hoped for seeing as there is not to be a travel ban any time soon.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
The way they hype ebola constantly is totally insane. CNN and fox are literally constantly talking about ebola. Nothing else. I have to watch it an hour a day in the breakroom at work on 60" flatscreens.....

Its like this pandemonium is supposed to keep our minds off of whats really going on in the world

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store