Nuchal hump in juvenile green terror

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
I recently purchased a juvenile green terror, only about 2 inches from a lfs. I already have multiple green terrors but I had to purchase this little guy because as I was observing him (assuming it's a male) and his 10 other siblings, I noticed he had what looks to be a nuchal hump in its early stages. I've kept many guts and have never been able to get my hands on one with a nuchal hump. So I'm asking for your opinion on whether or not this is actually a developing nuchal hump or just a slight deformity. If you believe it is a nuchal hump, what should I do to promote the growth of it.

He is currently in a 50 gallon with an aqua clear 70 with lots of cracks and crevices for him to hide in and constantly kept at 76 degrees Fahrenheit. I do 20-30% water changes every other week. He is housed with only a small pictus cat. He is eating hikari bio gold, hikari gold, chopped up silversides, bloodworms, and basic tetra tropical flakes. I'm trying my best to provide the ideal environment for him to promote nuchal hump growth but if you think I am doing anything wrong and should make any changes, please post a response.
Thank you
(Pictures don't show exact shape of the hump, it's a bit more "pointy" in person)image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Someone told me before that they get the hump early

Sent from my SCH-R830C

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Looks like it to me. I've seen quite a few juvie terrors with a bump like that, so I don't think it is a deformity.

Lgw

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Feed a good food, keep on top of the water quality and provide sufficient room. It also has a lot to do with genes and sometimes a female/spawning can promote hump growth

lanceiswaiting

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Australia
Nice fish. I've had females get the hump at this size though. Your fish looks nice and healthy. However, the hump is highly variable in the saums. Just because it has it now doesn't mean it will remain unfortunately. That's been my experience. I've got quite a decent male at about 8 inches with an average hump. It's luck of the draw in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1414828858.246108.jpg

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Yeah, big water changes, good varied diet and lots of tank space. Also a testosterone booster such as having a female in the tank too. So pretty much what Lgw said.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Like FH, there is variation of hump size in GT individuals even from the same batch. I have small males, barely 3 inch, already developed a small hump. Yet, some males barely develop any hump even at adult size. If you want big hump male, sort them out early as soon as hump begins to develop. Competition among males can induce the dominant male to develop a huge hump. If you have a group of males and you throw in a female, you can see the dominant male's hump to balloon up in front of your eyes. However, a breeding pair of GT with no competition doesn't seem to have any effect on the hump size. Apparently, hump size in GT is affected by both genes and testoteron level.

speskowi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2013
Streetsboro, OH
Water changes and a diet using a mix of many types of food like you're doing. Also try doing mirror training like I do with my flowerhorn. They flare up and it releases hormones that make the hump grow

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
This one I had devloped a nice hump from an early age. He was a really good looking fish.

011.JPG

011.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store