Geos breathing heavy or not

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
This is not my video.

Im comparing the breathing of these fish, would those of you used to Geos say they are breathing heavy or is this more normal for Geos?

I notice severums do the same thing more than other fish to me but thats in another thread, anyways, Ive just started with Geos and they seem to start breathing like this before any other fish, might just be a geo thing.

Water conditions are great. Tested today.

My big viejas and others just never visibly breathed heavier like this to me. So Im curious because I freaking love these fish lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXCcVNU6Eec

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
OK basically just watch the video, comment if these fish look to be breathing heavyish or not. Mine kind of breath this way most of the time but my other fish don't. Just making sure I was clear on my request. Wondering if its more just a geo thing.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
The fish in the video are in pre-spawning mode and they're excited, hence the heavy breathing.

You've mentioned now that your severums and geos breathe heavier than all your other fish, but you haven't actually told us anything about your tank. I'm wondering if there's something else going on that would cause your fish to breathe heavily.

- What sized tank?
- What fish (include quantities)?
- What filtration?
- Water parameters (temp, pH, hardness, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia)?

Here are some of my larger geos in a 210g community tank. Notice that they're not breathing heavily.

[video=youtube_share;zrNoNlwZcWQ]http://youtu.be/zrNoNlwZcWQ[/video]

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
I was just waiting for someone to want all my water parameters. RYANSMITH!!!!

Ok bud check it out, 125 gallon.

Pool filter sand and some stones that have been in it for years.
Malaysian wood, you can still see some tannin's from the 2 new pieces I just put in last week.
Led lights.
2 aquaclear 110s hanging on back with the sponges and white bio cube things. One filter has a carbon pack for the moment to help with the tannin's.
1 big bio sponge with air pump to it.
I use stress coat plus for the time being with water changes.
WC twice every 10 days about 35-45 percent each time.
Is some melafix still in tank from last several days.
Probably 6 or so table spoon ful of aquarium salt.
No heavy feeding, all hikari, ocean nutrition, sparingly gran sumo, Im not an over feeder.
Only clean one filter at a time, with tank water, except the sponge sometimes, only one at time though.
Ive tried different temps, what is it right now,,,,,,,,,,,79-81

NITRITE is 0 I didn't have enough tubes for the pic.

Video in this post are my fish right before this test.

5 small geos, G. stien and G. surinam
5 medium silver dollars, tiny royal pleco and synidontis.

female red hump busted her head on something.

If you watch the vid till the end you get to see a cute dog, up to you.

If this video and pic dosnt load properly, it will be quite fitting for my day.

They dont seem as bad right now,

Ipad 063.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSl8xxwPRUQ

WATCH VIDEO ABOVE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ipad 063.JPG

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Question is, y did you put salt and melafix in the tank?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
+1. Are you treating for something? My suggestion is to do one or two large water changes to remove the salt and Melafix. Clean, fresh water is all your fish need unless you're specifically treating for an ailment of some sort.

The fish look alright, but the first "surinamensis" shown is a bit thin and is doing that weird wobble that cichlids do when they're stressed/unwell. I'm thinking maybe it's because you recently got the fish from an LFS? Hopefully it will put on some weight and settle in. It's at least trying to sift and look for food, which is a good sign. I also notice the tail has a bite/chunk out of it, so is it possible there's stress from fighting? If you only have a couple "surinamensis" in the tank you could be seeing aggression as the two fish try to establish dominance over each other.

At any rate, the breathing isn't extremely labored, so I would just get the salt and Melafix out of the water and then leave them alone. Again, all they need is clean water and that will go a long way to prevent stress.

Another suggestion is to increase the O2 with some airstones, and make sure both of your ACs have the flow turned all the way up. I doubt dissolved O2 is an issue in that size tank with so few fish, but it's worth mentioning.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App[/QUOTE

The synodontis and my silvers had gotten their asses kicked by the vieja I had, trying to heal up some wounds and some other guys said adding a little salt could help with the geos that it was worth a shot, but I kept it low cuz I didnt want to screw it up worse.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
do not know about you but always get tired and breath hard chasing my women.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
+1. Are you treating for something? My suggestion is to do one or two large water changes to remove the salt and Melafix. Clean, fresh water is all your fish need unless you're specifically treating for an ailment of some sort.

The fish look alright, but the first "surinamensis" shown is a bit thin and is doing that weird wobble that cichlids do when they're stressed/unwell. I'm thinking maybe it's because you recently got the fish from an LFS? Hopefully it will put on some weight and settle in. It's at least trying to sift and look for food, which is a good sign. I also notice the tail has a bite/chunk out of it, so is it possible there's stress from fighting? If you only have a couple "surinamensis" in the tank you could be seeing aggression as the two fish try to establish dominance over each other.

At any rate, the breathing isn't extremely labored, so I would just get the salt and Melafix out of the water and then leave them alone. Again, all they need is clean water and that will go a long way to prevent stress.

Another suggestion is to increase the O2 with some airstones, and make sure both of your ACs have the flow turned all the way up. I doubt dissolved O2 is an issue in that size tank with so few fish, but it's worth mentioning.
Thanks guys, I was thinking of the 02 as well but both are on high and ripple the water well, plus it only seems to be the geos that do it. IDK

Yes the 2 fish you speak of are only from Friday night. I noticed that also but then I feed and it kicks butt. Its very active and I see the 2 kind of front eachother then its over fast, nothing too crazy. Read above post as well.

Next question,,,,,,,,,,,,is the ph ok,,,,,,,,,,,what would you say my PH readings are? Sometimes my eyes have trouble with the colors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store