Just bought a 180 and it leaks..

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Silicone comes in various sized tubes. I like to use the type that fits into a caulking gun. These caulking guns are so much easier to control and handle. The small tubes require squeezing with fingers which is tiresome and also they are more expensive overall.

There may be some left over in the bigger tubes and this can be saved for later use. However the leftover will harden over time. I have even had unopened tubes go hard after sitting around for a long time. Perhaps a lesson learned that it it not practical to buy tubes of silicone to store for future use. I believe they may have a date on the tube so be wary of an old tube on a store shelf.

Hello; Here is a link to a video that may be helpful in sealing a leak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKactsdPpO8&feature=channel_video_title

Hello; This is an old post of mine about sealing a tank with silicone. Resealing a tank can be a chore and may not work the first time, but if you get a good seal it should last for years.
I have found that trying to run a line of silicone only on a portion of a tank has often not worked out very well. If a tank leaks, I have found it best to reseal all the inside seams at the same time.
-(In my experience the silicone needs to be applied in all corners and sides while it is still tacky so that it will bond to itself at the apex of each side.)
-(New silicone does not always bond to old silicone very well)(Some have posted that it will stick better to the old if the old is well cleaned, I have yet to test this myself.)

I cut out the existing silicone with a utility knife from all seams before trying to seal with new stuff. A shop vacuum is a handy way to remove the bits of silicone. If the first application of new silicone does not seal the leak, I cut out all the silicone that I have just applied and seal the whole thing again.

The silicone tubes that fit in a caulking gun are the handy way to apply silicone. The tubes of silicone that you squeeze with your fingers are just too hard for me to control and I have not tried to use them in years. You can plug the end of a big tube of silicone with a nail or something round to keep it from curing too quickly, as you may need it again.
-(Note – When you cut the end of a silicone tube, make the first cut near the end so as to have a small opening. You can always cutoff a little bit more if the bead of silicone is too small.)
Some additional pointers:
I usually give a tank a good cleaning before applying the new silicone. I use a paste made from ordinary table salt (Without iodine) and a soft sponge.
-(I do not use a sponge or cloth that has been used with soap or chemicals.)
-(I have buckets and sponges that are used only for my tanks.)
The salt paste does not scratch glass and does a fair job at removing the deposits from the surface of the glass (be sure the sponge or cloth used to apply the paste with is not coarse enough to scratch the glass on its own and watch for bits of gravel that seem to jump into the salt paste.) (Letting the salt paste dry to a haze should desiccate most critters if you want to disinfect a diseased tank.)(Note- wetting the glass will soften up the deposits somewhat.) Rinse the salt paste out and let the tank dry well.

For stubborn mineral deposits, a razor blade in a holder that gives a firm grip is useful. Use a shallow angle on the blade and keep an eye on the corners of the blade. The corners sometimes get bent and will scratch a thin line. A bit of vinegar can help soften some deposits.
Once the tank is clean, I think it needs to be very dry before applying a bead of new silicone. Dampness tends to hide in the very small seams and in the corners of a tank. I suspect that dampness prevents the silicone from bonding properly to a surface and may result in a leak in a good looking seam. It can take a while for the moisture to dry out of the small seams. A light hanging inside an empty tank can help to dry it out.
Note- This is not real critical, but try to have the tank in a place where it can sit for a day once the silicone has been applied, so you do not have to move it until the stuff can cure some. Silicone labels often say that it will cure enough in two days to add water. (While I have gotten away with around a two day cure with thin beads in small tanks it has not always worked. It seems prudent to wait a few more days to be sure. Some experienced people have suggested seven days for a full cure.) Thicker beads of silicone in large tanks will likely take the additional time to cure. Silicone will skin over and harden from the outside in. Push on a thick part of a bead with your finger to see if it feels firm and solid.
If you manage to lay down a decent bead of silicone try to resist poking/rubbing at it in an attempt to smooth out a bump or irregular spot. I usually only try to smooth out the glob where the corners meet at an apex. You may get away with wetting your finger tip lightly with water and gently touch it. (Water on the outside of a joint should not cause a problem if you use just enough to dampen the tip of the finger and not enough to drip off.)(Does it sound like fun yet?). You will want several paper towels or cloths handy to keep the silicone wiped from your fingers. It will get on everything if you don’t and it is a real pain to clean off. If you use a cloth to wipe silicone the stuff from your fingers, it does not come out. So do not use a favorite towel.
If you happen to mess up and need to clean up a smear,( and find that the more you wipe it, the more it smears.) it may be easier to let the silicone set up for a day or two so that it is no longer gooey. It can then be rubbed off with a cloth or your fingers or perhaps scraped off with a razor.
I try to test the tank in a place where a leak or having to empty the tank will not be a problem. I also allow a resealed tank to sit full of water for a few days to be sure the tank does not leak before moving it into the house. This may not be wise or practical with a large tank as moving may open up a seam. Good luck with whatever procedure you decide to use.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Great information skjl47, after I resealed 2 aquariums myself it was very rewarding and now I'm always looking for aquariums people put out on garbage day because they leaked.:)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Really that many? I thought it would take two or three lol.. Thing is, I can't really demand anything from him really, he doesn't have to give me anything if he doesn't want to. He's just setting the shop up at the moment, if this is the way he does business I don't think he'll be open for too long..
hell I don't think it'll take over 2 tubes to do the tank, I'm saying get extra for your troubles lol.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I have a tank that leaks in a small area, besides resealing the area, I like to add another piece of glass a little larger than the leaking site, to add strength.
I brought home a 130 gal the other day, and moving it produced a stress crack.
I pulled up old silicone in the area, put down half a tube of GE1, put a piece of glass over the cracked area, and siliconed that in, with the remaining half of the tube.
Let it sit 24 hours, until a skin had developed on the silicone, and filled the tank less than half way. The weight of water seems to force still pliable silicone under the skin, deep into any small pin hole areas. Then let it sit a while and fill.

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Thanks for all the info guys, I'm going to pick up the silicone from him tomorrow, will drain and dry the tank today then start the reseal on Monday or Tuesday as I'm away all weekend. Will feel bad putting the fish back into the 90s, they're loving the space in the 180!

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Just spoke to a couple of people and they're really putting me off resealing this, saying that resealing sometimes doesn't work and that they would never trust a reseal etc.. Has anyone here resealed a large tank (180+) before?

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Resealing a tank is a hot topic. There are two thoughts on the matter, one is fully remove all of the silicone and start from scratch with clean glass. The other is a patch method, remove the corner bead and just replace that. I'm in the first group myself.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
Resealing a tank is a hot topic. There are two thoughts on the matter, one is fully remove all of the silicone and start from scratch with clean glass. The other is a patch method, remove the corner bead and just replace that. I'm in the first group myself.
I agree with this. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Reseal the whole thing, strip with alcohol and razors, and rest easy for the next decade :)

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Just spoke to a couple of people and they're really putting me off resealing this, saying that resealing sometimes doesn't work and that they would never trust a reseal etc.. Has anyone here resealed a large tank (180+) before?
I resealed my 180 gallon myself. The tank is cracked all the way up the back panel yop to bottom and the bottom pane is also cracked a little. I resealed it with a generous amount of silicone and it's been 2 years about and absolutely no issues. Some may say my tank is a ticking time bomb but I've had no issues no nothing it's stronger than ever. I got the tank for free and spent like $20 on supplies to fix it. It still holds water like a champ. Nothing wrong with stripping the tank and resealing. In some cases a good reseal with a thick bead of silicone and a couple sheets of glass to sandwich a Crack or leak makes it stronger than before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store