What got you into fish keeping?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
My dad was obsessed with snakeheads when I was a kid. Long before the ban. He had what seemed like the world's largest aquarium growing up. A 180 gallon. We caught frogs, insects, mice in live traps, fish from local creeks, everything went in that tank.

Watching snakeheads shred everything was what got me hooked as a kid. Their predatory instincts amazed me.

Now I have much larger tanks and ponds 450 and 720 a 300 couple 210's. But nothing will ever be as big to me as that 180 full of monsters.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
A coworker at a job I worked at years ago brought in and set up a ten gallon tank.Curious,I went with him to a lfs to get supplies and pick out some fish for the tank and I was pretty much hooked once I saw the rows of tanks with all the different kinds of fish.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
We were at a fun fair, and won two goldfish, which we put in a bowl and died :( after that I was hooked, moved onto danios, tetras, community tanks; then a couple of years later bought my first convict cichlid and after that it was all cichlids lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
My parents got me a 10 gallon when I was 9 and I have been hooked ever sense watching my fish is one of the only times I am just relaxing.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
When I was a kid I would go collect aquatic critters from the swamp on out land and put them in rubbermaids. Then I started bring the rubbermaids inside for the winter so my Dad bought me a 20g tank and a 45g tank at rummage sales. I kept native sunfish in the 45g and tropicals in the 20g.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I grew up on a pretty big cattle ranch, we had more then a few massive ponds, we stocked them regularly with fish we caught in 1 of the 3 rivers that ran through our land. I was hooked on keeping fish along with catching them at a very young age.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
For me its the same kind of story but I was raised at a marina where I would catch and keep everything. Snakes, frogs, salamanders and fish

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
A coworker at a job I worked at years ago brought in and set up a ten gallon tank.Curious,I went with him to a lfs to get supplies and pick out some fish for the tank and I was pretty much hooked once I saw the rows of tanks with all the different kinds of fish.
Once you laid eyes on a datnoid...it began:ROFL:

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
my 10 year old boy at the time, an old 10 gallon tank laying around he wanted to get fish for, and one oscar and bulls eye catfish to put into it. there is a direct time line from the 10, to the 30g, to the 90g, to the 180g, all having to do with the oscar. all over the course of about 9 months.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I could not waste the other tanks, so,, got some JD, some jags and 2 more 75s. MTS infection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store