How Long Has Your Equipment Lasted?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
my friend's ehiem 2028 is leaking , just three years of usage. do ehiem provide serving for the power head? if so what servicing they do?
This thread is not the right place to post this question, but I will go ahead and answer it real quick. If you have further questions, or others have further comments, please start a new thread.

The reason for a leaky canister is not the powerhead, nor is necessarily service required. By nature, a canister is a sealed entity, and mechanical malfunction cannot directly cause a leak. Depending on its location, the reason for a leak is either a misplaced or damaged O-ring, loose hose connections or - which I've never seen - a crack in the main casing.

HarleyK

gollum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2006
Australia
my eheim 2227 wet & dry is 12 years old
and has been run dry for 3days (on holiday)
and still works perfectly
they are expensive but worth it...

I also use aquaclear 500's as back up filters on a couple tanks they are 10yrs and 8 yrs
they are good because you can see and hear when they need a clean... they move lots of water and aerate the water the best :)

other long lived filter's of mine is the fluval 304 & 404 quality constructed and good flow rate and cheap

I just bought a sacem marathon 2000 as it was recommended as a good long term 15yrs plus :)

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
if you spend money you get the best EHEIM

why try to save money on the kidney of your tank the fish will die if it fails

big train

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Chesapeake V.A.
the theo brand 400 watt heater is tough and efective evan takes reddevil and jag temper tamtrums i got 3 heaters had 3 years this january got them at petsmart 39.99.

fishieperson321

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2006
Tennessee, USA
My grandma has a Willinger Brothers SecondNature Whisper 3 on her 55 that she has had since the company came out with them. Over 20 years. She never cleans it, only replaces the bio-bags every 6 months or so, as she washes them off. The impeller never gets cleaned and it has ben through multiple power outages. It just starts right back up when the power comes back on. I have a Whisper 30-60 on my 20 gallon tank for a few days now and my water stays crystal clear. The cartridges are cheap and the filter is reliable. Can't get any better. People often ask me why I have a filter that looks so outdated and I just say "Why change something that is so good?".

The air pump my grandma had was a Whisper Air Pump that powered all FOUR uplift tubes of her undergravel filter.

Of course, she had her Lee's UGF filter the for years upon years.

Seems like they made things better back then.

240Drifter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
NJ
Ehiem 2217, and 2215 ive had them for 6 yrs now without any problems. Runs like day one.

ProblEmZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2006
Lynnwood, Washington what!
MY Emperor 400 & Whisper 60 have worked great from 1994-1999, 2002-presently 2006.

only thing changed where the biowheels (before i knew better /doh).

rodclement

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2006
USA
Hello all, first time poster, great topic!

AQ 500 have had several for over 7 years no problems...

My Python hose attachement, have replaced the hose to a common graden hose but the adapter is still going! Sees daily use for just about 5 years!

Rod

hoosier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2006
Cali
I've been using the same air pump for the last 8 years and counting...the whisper (2nd nature haha) is still going strong with no probs!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store