ID? Spotted? Large Mouth Bass?

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
where did I say that its okay to put more fish with him? A fish with herpesvirus can expose it to other fish and can be fatal for them.

I've seen bass chasing and beating up other tank mates countless times. Think it like a cichlid. As a datnoid owner, you must know this that datnoids do not deal with an aggressive tankmate very well.
oh... I see what you mean right there.

Also, I don't think it is herpes virus thou, they look more like fungus and fin rots.

A few years ago, I brought a Baramundi, and when it was introduced to warmer water, the fish filled with like cotton balls. After reverting it to cooler water, they disappeared, is that the symptom of herpes virus? This is the same thing happening in this bass at the moment (the white cotton part is peeling off from the fish).

~~~~~

Yeah, datnoids will fight back, and often injure themselves in the process...

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Not really, datnoids are wussies and they won't win against LMB. As for the fungus and fin rots, they do not looks like it in the pictures. It looks like it has herpesvirus. From now do not buy any live fish from fish markets.

You are just being selfish, that thinks the datnoid can hold its stand against a LMB. LMB can murder that datnoid easily without any problems. Perhaps you should ask some people on here to see if they can house a bass with datnoids before you go out and buy a bass?

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
oh... I see what you mean right there.

Also, I don't think it is herpes virus thou, they look more like fungus and fin rots.

A few years ago, I brought a Baramundi, and when it was introduced to warmer water, the fish filled with like cotton balls. After reverting it to cooler water, they disappeared, is that the symptom of herpes virus? This is the same thing happening in this bass at the moment (the white cotton part is peeling off from the fish).

~~~~~

Yeah, datnoids will fight back, and often injure themselves in the process...
I successfully kept lmb with peaceful fish with no problem peacock bass are far more aggressive then lmb and they are kept with dats. You shouldn't have a problem with this fish other then the obvious diseases, funguses its carrying

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I successfully kept lmb with peaceful fish with no problem peacock bass are far more aggressive then lmb and they are kept with dats. You shouldn't have a problem with this fish other then the obvious diseases, funguses its carrying
And I've kept various LMB and they all murdered other tank mates. They even murdered koi carps after I donated them to someone's koi pond. Peacock bass on other hand, are less territorially and less aggressive to most tank mates.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
And I've kept various LMB and they all murdered other tank mates. They even murdered koi carps after I donated them to someone's koi pond. Peacock bass on other hand, are less territorially and less aggressive to most tank mates.
Its a good thing this is a hobby of personal opinions and experience

Lambrakopoulos

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
USA
Go for it!!!! People here will always tell you what you shouldn't do. I like to take it as a challenge to see what kind if diversity I can get away with in my tanks. As long as the Dat has somewhere to hide or isn't big enough to fit in LMB mouth you will be fine. Keep him well fed and I don't see a problem. Both are very predatory fish, with a lot of similarities. But I would quarantine him first before he goes into a real setup.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
QT the bass, add salt, paraguard, prazi pro and a cocktail of other meds to cover the inevitable problems that fish has, I'd say minimum 3 weeks to a month...and put him in there and see what happens. worse case scenario he comes right back out of the tank with the dat.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Go for it!!!! People here will always tell you what you shouldn't do. I like to take it as a challenge to see what kind if diversity I can get away with in my tanks. As long as the Dat has somewhere to hide or isn't big enough to fit in LMB mouth you will be fine. Keep him well fed and I don't see a problem. Both are very predatory fish, with a lot of similarities. But I would quarantine him first before he goes into a real setup.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1 You pretty much summed it up

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
bah, if you are set on a bass, wait til spring and catch your own at like 3-4 inches. much more rewarding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store