cichlid stunted growth

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
i have a 10 inch male jag that barely eats, when he was a baby he used to eat like a dog, he barely eats anymore he's so picky it pisses me off, im lucky if i could get him to eat 1 meal in a matter of a few days, is this normal for jags cuz the last one i had was around the same size and did the exact same thing. will this cause him to have stunted growth in the longrun or no?

here he is

jag1234.jpgView attachment 1048346

jag1234.jpg

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
sorry about posting about this alot but im getting worried dont wanna feel like im wasting my time on this fish

Aphilophus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Dodge Center,MN
Dude sometimes fish eat some times they don't. His growth has slowed by now and how long have u had him. What are u feeding? Try food with garlic fish love it

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Once mine his that size they typically slow down on eating as much and I just started them on once every two to three days. If you feed a managuense every day they will get fat and just stop hitting food like they used to. Give some time in between meals. It's stunted it's just hit that point where it's gonna take a year or two to add on inches as opposed to happening in months. It's also genetics that determines size so it may not be predisposed to turning into a 15 inch monster it may top out at 12-13. Just be patient it's a good looking fish.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
how old is he? and sorry need to ask tank size, water change schedule and tank mates if any.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
fish does appear healthy.

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
125 gallon 50% wc a week he has a couple small cichlids with him and a big Dempsey, I got him when he was around an inch around a year and a half ago

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
That other thread is FULL of good advice on why he may not be 18" inches by now.

I also don't get what the waste of time refers to. If you put time and care into your fish you'll results. You just have to put the time.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store