When do you have your lights on?

When are your lights on?

• Early morning till evening (with the Sun)

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Afternoon into night (after work hours)

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Early morning till late at night (algae lovers)

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other (mixed schedule, dimmers, etc...)

Votes: 14 20.0%

• Total voters

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Unless your home all day that's a waste of electricity. Mine are turned on at 5pm and off at 11pm on the weekdays and on the weekends they are on at 3 and off at 11

Sent from my VTAB1008 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
For the past couple days, I've left the light off until it starts to get dark outside, just for the heck of it (the tank's surrounded on 3 sides by windows, so there's plenty of natural light), but now I've got a serious brown algae bloom (the water is a brown-red color), so I won't be doing that again. And for the record, I did a 60% water change on Wednesday afternoon, so it's not a water quality issue.

chris_zx2

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2009
Montreal
Everywhere I have read that brown algae is caused by not enough light, however, I get it on the side of my tank with more light...very strange.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Everywhere I have read that brown algae is caused by not enough light, however, I get it on the side of my tank with more light...very strange.
Have you checked your water parameters? My current 10 gallon is the only well-lit tank in which I've had brown algae, but it only grows on the side of the tank that is in the shadow of the in-tank filter.

chris_zx2

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2009
Montreal
I haven't checked kh or gh but everything else is 0 except nitrates 0-5 ppm. You have a good point about shadowing, I'm gonna try some new configurations with the lights to see if it changes anything.

perok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2012
pompano beach FL
brown algae can also be lights that need changing.

for green algae. Less hours of light, less food....and get an algae strike force in place. I have 3 plecos, an odwalla catfish and a flying fox.

I'm fine with 9 hours for mostly low, medium light plants at 2w per g. In fact, that might even be too much light by the books, but they don't seem to mind.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I onlyhave 4 Amazon sword plants left in mine, my rck destroyed everything else. I keep my lights on a timer for 6 hours a day (from 4 to 10), but his tank also gets natural sunlight from morning to mid after noon.

chris_zx2

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2009
Montreal
Added more lights to the tank and co2, now the brown algae is gone and the green has started.
If I remember correctly this indicates I need more ferts right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store