What kind of synodontis is this?

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
It's man made. Hybrid, likely of this kind: http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=602

You can see 9 more or less known / described hybrids here http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=29#602 There are more than that, some mentioned here http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28659
Ya it looks a lot like the first one, just more yellow. Is there any way of knowing how big it is? Also is $20 a fair price? Being a hybrid i have no idea

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Or #7 http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?species=synodontis_sp_hybrid(1)&image_id=8417 except yours is older.

This is the most common hybrid but there is quite a bit of variability in the appearance of this hybrid.

I think 12" is the max. If it is 5"-6"+, $20 is about average.

What are you a hybrid of? :D

Here is mine at ~10"-12" TL (although yours may seem a bit more like the one in the back but that's a different hybrid with notatus as one of the parents, yours has different parents, e.g. eupterus and an ocellifer or some such):

Krol 6.jpg

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Or #7 http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?species=synodontis_sp_hybrid(1)&image_id=8417 except yours is older.

This is the most common hybrid but there is quite a bit of variability in the appearance of this hybrid.

I think 12" is the max. If it is 5"-6"+, $20 is about average.

What are you a hybrid of? :D

Here is mine at ~10"-12" TL (although yours may seem a bit more like the one in the back but that's a different hybrid with notatus as one of the parents, yours has different parents, e.g. eupterus and an ocellifer or some such):
My dad is from Naples and my mom is from Campobaso lol

Gz 12"... How fast do they grow? I won't lie when the owner told me it was a petricola (and i saw how small they stay) i nabbed it asap for my 10g. How fast do they grow?

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
There is no way thats a full Petricola.

Most likely a hybrid of some sort. Still a good looking cat though.

Enjoy your score!

signature
-----------------------------------------------------------

"And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste"

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
My dad is from Naples and my mom is from Campobaso lol

Gz 12"... How fast do they grow? I won't lie when the owner told me it was a petricola (and i saw how small they stay) i nabbed it asap for my 10g. How fast do they grow?

As you know now, the only common thing petricola has with this little Frankenstein is that they are synodontis. Not body and fin shape and proportions, neither coloration has anything of petricola in it.

Not fast. From ~2"-3" to 5"-6" in about 1-2 years, another 1-2 years to 7"-8", 5+ years to 10"-12". There is too much variability in the growth rate too, so the numbers I cited are very approx. and a general impression, if I may call it that, from my experience and reading.

I live in Naples. Not the original Naples... New Naples :)

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
As you know now, the only common thing petricola has with this little Frankenstein is that they are synodontis. Not body and fin shape and proportions, neither coloration has anything of petricola in it.

Not fast. From ~2"-3" to 5"-6" in about 1-2 years, another 1-2 years to 7"-8", 5+ years to 10"-12". There is too much variability in the growth rate too, so the numbers I cited are very approx. and a general impression, if I may call it that, from my experience and reading.

I live in Naples. Not the original Naples... New Naples :)
Sick! I live in Montreal lol, our weather sucks compared to urs.

Man thats kinda slow, well the 10g wont be so bad for now then...for now. I do have a 90g that can spare the room in case of a crazy pubic growth spurt.

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
This is Petricola

Sorry poor pic.. but dang he's teeny tiny.

My larger ones never come out long enough to snap a pic

signature

uploadfromtaptalk1408821536960.jpg

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
He's *slightly* larger than the gravel if that helps :D

signature

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Still having a hard time seeing it. Either way it seems i have a mut cat thats yellow and not what u posted :(. Still cute though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store