Festae Help

Ray neo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
woodlands
Bro, to have a pair without divider depends lots on the cichlid itself,their individual behaviors, it just my feel after my Dovii pair is form. I also do not understand why they can get together without divider.
That much I believe is their individual character, thx!

Ray neo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
woodlands
Addition so sometime got to be luck getting in a pair that can get along without divider,this may need try and try for many time until u got it right! Thx!

EricJ7182

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
Jersey
I've found that the divider helps both the females and the males. Pre-spawn the male is super aggressive and violent with my female. Post spawn my female ripped off the males lip to keep him away from the spawning site. I think the divider probably saved his life bc she is all business when fry are in the tank lol.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
If dealing with large CA/SA cichlids was easy everyone would do it. They are not for the faint at heart!

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
Thanks, guys! It looks like the divider is going to have to be the way to go. It's good to know everyone seems to experience this. For a while, I thought I just kept getting lucky with the psychotic males. LOL...

Since a few of you tossed in some pics, I thought I'd put up a pic of one of my females. I don't have a pic of the male just yet, but will soon. Thanks for the input, everyone! And good to hear from you, Jason... been a while! I need to check some of your threads and see what you have going on these days!

-Rich
Thanks Rich, I've been really busy lately with life lol. But I'm getting ready to become active again in the forums. I'll try and make a fishroom video this week for everyone. Your gonna hear lots of opinions when it comes to Festae and trying to compare with other Sa/Ca cichlids. And it's all based on personal expirience with the fish. I just picked up couple of Festae last month that I will be pairing out so maybe I could do a progression post to show how I do it:)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dkreef

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
OC, CA
guys would u need a divider if u plan to just keep the male only with other fish smaller and bigger than him?

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
guys would u need a divider if u plan to just keep the male only with other fish smaller and bigger than him?
I haven't kept festae, but from all the research I've read, here is what I think. Males can hit 16-18" and are pretty aggressive, so if you go with smaller fish, I wouldn't go less than 10-12" and they would need to have a bit of attitude to keep up. Oscars, pearsei, bocourti, vieja and similar sized fish are good options for tankmates generally.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Oscars, pearsei, bocourti, and vieja are just big, but too timid and will likely be bullied by Festae half their size. Jaguar, Midas, and Trimac or any amphilophus species have no trouble standing their ground, except when you have a breeding pair of Festae which will not tolerate tankmates, sometime including their mate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store