Help with new ropes

Blazin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Illinois
So a week ago I visited a lfs around me and saw they had 4 ropes. They had them in with kissing gourami and I saw the kissing gourami were eating the slime coat from the ropes. The ropes weren't damaged too bad because they had just been put in their new tank for an hour or so (they got new shipment that day). Originally I was going to get 3, but I decided to buy all 4 because i didn't think they would make it in that tank. Well one week later I only have 1 left, lost the other 3 within the first few days of purchase. Today I found 2 more from another store so i decided to buy them. I also bought 2 small senegal with them.

Everyone is currently in a 55g qt tank. I plan on moving them to a 125g that currently houses 3 delhezi, african butterfly fish, and african brown knife after 3 weeks as long as they are eating pellets. The one rope that survived from the first batch is not accepting pellets, but has eaten small worms. The main reason why I bought the senegals is because I've seen from other posts that sometimes fish can learn to accept pellets from other fish (that and you can never have enough bichirs).

Have any previous rope fish owners had a problem with them accepting pellets? If so how did you pellet train them? And what do you currently feed your rope fish? Any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
My ropefish werent eating as well at first, but i only had one male in the beginning with a whole bunch of bichirs in a grow out, when i bought a female rope the male started eating pellets, and bloodworms, however it did really like tuna even before the addition of the other rope. Hope that helps a little, sorry for your losses.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Good luck with the pellet training ... The whole monkey see monkey do scenario where the fish sees another eating pellets has t worked for me I been pellet training my lapradei for 3 months it hasn't eatin at All in at least a month not one time all the other fish in there eat pellets but the lap isn't havin it ... Hope u have better luck with it than I am man

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Blazin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Illinois
Just wanted to update my post and hopefully help someone in the future who might be in a similar scenario as me. In total I have lost 6 ropes (most of the ones I lost had red around there anus) and am left with 3 which I've had for these past few weeks. They are currently eating live black worms and seem to be doing very well. Once I run out of the last portion of black worms I plan to only offer them massivore and take it from there. Wish me luck!

Vapor315

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Fish will not starve themselves once they get hungry enough they will eat and try to get them on frozen food first as opposed to jumping right to pellets. I would be more worried about losing that many so rapidly virus them eating.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Fish will not starve themselves once they get hungry enough they will eat and try to get them on frozen food first as opposed to jumping right to pellets. I would be more worried about losing that many so rapidly virus them eating.
Diddo on that man frozen food first ... Tried my lap on pellets for months never touched em got him on beef heart for 4 days and now he eats pellets like crazy

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Shopko

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2007
Virginia
A few years ago I had most of my ropes mysteriously die. It took about a week. They were rapidly breathing and under stress, but water parameters were good, all other fish OK. Other than the breathing, they all looked great. A friend who kept ropes and owned a LFS, said that sometimes they would get an entire shipment that would die. He thought it was a virus specific to ropes.
Sorry for your loss. Hope your survivor does OK. I still have one from that batch. She is 18" and doing well. Good luck.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store