Mike's 45 gallon long (48"x12"x19") planted tank

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
So I've decided that I'm going to tear this tank down at the end of the month, and start clean with a high tech setup next month. With all new lighting, substrate, etc.....
Lol I would call this crazy but I do the exact same thing on a regular basis haha

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Decided not to get the LED lighting just yet, but I picked up 2 15lb bags of FloraMax for the base layer, next I'll be picking up 1-2 bags of Flourite as a capping layer. I picked up a new 50lb bag of play sand from HomeDepot, I'll be ordering the LED lighting next month along with a co2 regulator, then in October I'll pick up a 10lb co2 cylinder for the tank.

I'm hoping to start tearing the tank down tomorrow because I know a lady who's daughter just got her first apartment and wants the used flourite for her first planted tank.

So while I was at HomeDepot getting the play sand, I suddenly got an idea so here's the idea.... I picked up a 3" PVC end cap that I intend to drill a hole in it, and drill a hple into the top portion of the intake tube to my canister filter, then I'll run some airline tubing from the PVC end cap to the filter tank. Well the PVC end cap will be siliconed to a powerhead base that suctions to the glass of tank, and it'll be put above my glass co2 diffuser close to the top of the tank to catch any co2 that tries to escape the tank, and will be sucked right into the canister filter. This way I get a better co2 diffusion in the tank for the plants.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
I've decided that I'm going to design a 3d background for this tank, so tomorrow I'll hit HomeDepot to pick up some of the supplies to get started on the background. I really want to take it slow on this so it'll come out just right, and look great in the tank!!!!

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
So today my internet, and cable went out this morning, so I decided to tear down the tank. I removed all of the old flourite substrate, and went with new flourite, and floramax. I got the tank set back up, and will take new pics tomorrow!!!!!
Hi, can you please tell me where you get the flourite and floramax from? I have been trying to do a planted tank for years and can never get the plant to live.. I was just using all sand..

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
I get both the flourite and floramax from Petsmart, if you go to

www.petsmart.com

At the top it has the search area for the site, enter flourite and press enter and it'll take you to the flourite, and then click on "check store availability" and enter your zip code and it'll pull up stores that have it in stock in your area. Then repeat the search but enter Flora Max and it'll take you to the floramax, and click the check store availability again and see if the store that has the flouriite has floramax in stock. Then you call call the store, speak to someone in the fish section and ask them to see if they can save some for you, and go pick it up.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
So I've decided that I really want to turn this tank into a blackwater Amazon biotope, I've ordered 20 indian almond leaves, this coming week I'll hit HomeDepot to get everything for the 3d background and I'll hit the local river to get some more driftwood pieces for the tank. I'll be ordering the LED lighting fixture on Wednesday, and I have a guy holding a SunSun 302 canister filter for me to pick up Wednesday as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store