New nile monitor. is the enclosure ok?

blonde.for.life

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2009
findlay, ohio
70/30 topsoil/sand. Humidity is important for these guys..50-75%. Basking temp needs to be at least 120 and higher as he grows. Feed gutloaded/dusted insects and pinkies daily and he should do well for you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
These guys need to burrow also, and yes 75-80% humidity I had a savannah that would eat chicken eggs whole. Live mice and anything else it could fit in it's mouth.
If you want it to be a pet start hand feeding it and handling it every day for 30 minutes or more. Otherwise it's gonna be a display piece due to lack of trust and tempermant. they need about a 8 foot long cage with UV also. and yours is gonna need a place to swim also.
The monitor is the most dumped lizard out there people get them and don't realize that they are alot of hard work. And require tons of space when they are adults. They will break the bank when it comes to feeding a full grown one as they eat most every day and will swallow a full grown rabbit per meal.

If the humidity isn't right they live about 5 years give or take, then sercum to kidney failure to to high levels urethra build up.
this is mainly caused by not enough humidity. and a lack of proper depth to burrow. monitors need 2 to 4 feet of substrate to burrow in once full grown.

It kills me to see so many animals (mainly reptiles) kept the wrong way from either lack of funds or knowledge.
I just rescued a 12 inch red ear slider that spent the last 15 years in a 10 gallon tank. had skin fungus and couldn't turn around in the tank.
They thought it would only grow as large as the tank!!!!!! three things it had going for it wad they had a UV bulb and fed it primo turtle food with regular water changes.
DON'T let that happen to that monitor.
There are some good sites out there for monitors, with guys that keep nothing but monitors and they are willing to help out.

Sorry for the long post.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store