To cave or not to cave, that is the question....

tonman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2013
Tucson
I have a 135g 6' tank however my plans took a detour in stocking.

I have a Jaguar, Midas, Firemouth, Salvini, and Green Terror. I have to eventually add a Red Texas (growing out in community tank, wife's tank so no it's not staying). Issue seems to be territories though they all seem to have found their piece of the pie.

1. Should I remove the caves/hideouts? The Jaguar and Salvini spend most of their time in their caves.
2. At what size should I introduce the RT? Considering the Jaguar thinks anything that can fit his mouth is game.
3. What medium size dithers can I employ? Smaller scissortails ended up Jaguar food so the larger ones went back to community tank. I do not want SDs or those that can get rather large. I think I just might not have any dithers at all.

See image for sizes and layout but they are 4-6" while the RT is only about 2.5" at best.

allcichlids.png

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
That tank is gonna belong to the jag or Midas eventually. That stock is a time bomb waiting to go off. But I'd keep the Caves just so no ones out in the open and every body has a place to retreat. Leave the RT out it will only add to the volatile mix.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tonman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2013
Tucson
That tank is gonna belong to the jag or Midas eventually. That stock is a time bomb waiting to go off. But I'd keep the Caves just so no ones out in the open and every body has a place to retreat. Leave the RT out it will only add to the volatile mix.

It depends. I have had full grown Midas and mating jaguars in 110g. Dominance is one thing. Psychotic is another.

My issue is decorative tank vs. Just tank for fish display.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
It depends. I have had full grown Midas and mating jaguars in 110g. Dominance is one thing. Psychotic is another.
Multiple individuals or a pairs? I've had a Midas and managuense both clean out a 125 once they hit adulthood, might not happen immediately but it will happen. My best advice is keep the caves and watch them. As far dithers SD would be your best bet as anything smaller will more than likely be eaten and even then they may be eaten.

tonman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2013
Tucson
Multiple individuals or a pairs? I've had a Midas and managuense both clean out a 125 once they hit adulthood, might not happen immediately but it will happen. My best advice is keep the caves and watch them. As far dithers SD would be your best bet as anything smaller will more than likely be eaten and even then they may be eaten.

Not disagreeing with you. I don't want a bare tank and fish. Just want to know what to do regarding territories. I even grew out 6 jaguars and 2 MidAs to 10-12 " in same tank.

Sorry had to run. Just wanted to add thanks.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Not disagreeing with you. I don't want a bare tank and fish. Just want to know what to do regarding territories. I even grew out 6 jaguars and 2 MidAs to 10-12 " in same tank.
If territory is the issue just re arrange the tank when you choose to introduce the RT.

tonman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2013
Tucson
If territory is the issue just re arrange the tank when you choose to introduce the RT.

I have to apologize again. My wife was wanting to run out and I tried to make a post that wasn't concise to what I wanted to ask.

I will rearrange the tank when I add the RT. Should I try to remove the caves so the Jag and Salvini do not spend all their time there? I was hoping to get folks to share what has worked for them regarding territories and their tanks. It's semi-peaceful right now just because everyone stays in their corner most of the time. The FM/Salvini get long as well as the Midas/GT. It's just a stagnant tank. This might be what's best but doesn't make for an attractive tank.

Even when I just had the FM, GT, and Salvini, the FM and Salvini spent their time in their caves and would come out to pick on the GT. Just wanting opinion on balance between decoration and active tank. Not looking to go for the African tank approach.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
If you remove the caves your gonna have stressed fish that lack hiding places should aggression flare up. I have a salvini and I've owned multiple managuense and until they get big they all chose to hide, or they hide because one individual is dominant. Before my big male managuense died he had every other fish in my 125 in hiding. He was out and any one who tried to be out was sent back into hiding.

If it's peaceful leave it, shredded fish that lack color isn't an attractive tank either.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I agree with mike. That tank is a war in the making.

I'd leave all the decor in there. Those caves the jag and salvini are protecting is what might be keeping their aggression at bay.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Dithers could help. Find some and try em out. Seeing a school of fish cruising around is some kind of subconcious cue to fish that they should come out and hang around. You may not really want that in your tank, but try it and see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store