How many fish have you lost since keeping fish?

DREWSMITH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
South Riding, VA
Hundreds. .. especially if we count unsuccessful fry grow out attempts. I have had success with bigger cichlids and never turned back. Rookie mistakes and downright ignorance were to blame on my early losses. Under filtration and lack of water changes. I thought I knew better than the "dumb Internet people" but I learned the hard way. And paid the price. Now I try to do things right by the fish.

Drew

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire

ucantkillme89

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
Charles County, MD
www.youtube.com
Yeah my first major loss was when the daily high went from 72 everyday to 85!
Sent my heater into super heat mode. Cooked all my africans. Recently, a year ago I had over 55 first gen Red Texas. After a power outage I was down to 30.

Milfsplitta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2014
Auzztralia
We all lose fish matey, chin up. **** happens. Enjoy the good. Learn from the bad. Internet/forums are you're friend. Be sad you lost a friend, but be happy you'll be soon gaining another.
Straya thinkin m8. :)

00kevin

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2011
NJ
I've kept a list since the day I started. Highlights are Ten 22" various pbass. 21 Frontosa. 2 motoro stingrays. 3 arowana. Faded red Texas. Etc. etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TheBigB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
North Texas
My worst fish lose, which almost made me lose interest was when I lost $600 of discus. I had a beautiful planted display tank with 6 large discus. I had an automatic fertilizer injection system for the plants and one weekend while I was out of town the pump failed on and way over dosed the tank killing everything in it.
I was devastated and left the tank empty for about 6 months. I'm starting to come back around though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I do remember some of the losses. I guess it's natural to remember those losses of $2K-$10+K individual specimens. That's likely why I didn't go commercial where importers/wholesaler's see 10s of thousands in losses on single shipments.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I do remember some of the losses. I guess it's natural to remember those losses of $2K-$10+K individual specimens. That's likely why I didn't go commercial where importers/wholesaler's see 10s of thousands in losses on single shipments.
Wow that is sad to hear that importers/wholesalers lose so many fish :(

I have lost a bunch, but most I had to re-home due to aggression. I have always tried to do that or separate fish at the first signs. I mainly keep CA cichlids and have any deaths in a long time. I haven't been able to have any luck with salvinis for some reason. None of them have been aggressive like people say and have been killed by tank mates or for an unknown reason. I even lost a 6'' salvini to a 5'' firemouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store