Help for an External Filter noob please

BobCat

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Ireland
I have an external filter, fluval 406 on a 240l tank. Its my first ever external and is on about 5/6 months.
The flow rate had dropped off considerably and I'm not sure why.
For the first month or two I did not have the impeller cover attached properly so flow rate was poor but when i fixed this it went back to normal.
I have cleaned the impeller and sponges etc but it has not helped much.
I am worried that the pipes could be blocked but the shouldnt be as the strainer has always been on the inlet.
Can anyone offer any advise? Can i clean the pipes somehow or what do you think has caused the reduction in flow rate?
Any and all help is appreciated.
:confused:

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
You didn't mention anything about cleaning out the trays...Built up debris/waste in the canister trays can cause a reduced flow rate. If these have been maintained and cleaned correctly and you still have a reduced flow rate...you may want to try cleaning your intake and out take hoses and of course make sure your impeller/motor is functioning correctly.

BobCat

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Ireland
Thanks for the reply.

Trays are all clean and the impeller is clean. I don't know about the motor, I'm not sure about getting to or cleaning it...

Cleaning the hoses seems like an awkward job, what do you use to do that?

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
I used a metal brush attached to an unwound metal hanger and then pushed it all the way thru while running hot water thru it. Kind of a pain in the ass, but i did get a lot of gunk out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store