Conflicting info on geophagus brasiliensis

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Well mine is going back to the LFS today. Once he settled in the aggression started coming out and he was challenging other fish. I am not interested in a wet pet at this time. Its a shame cause he is such a beauty. Don't know why so many websites say semi-aggressive.

So this puts me back in the market I am looking for a colorful semi aggressive fish that will fit in a 75. looking for something with oranges or yellow. that will work with the following stock

2x firemouth
3x Honduran Red Point
2x rainbow cichlid
1x Clown Loach
1x Green Phantom pleco

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Like I said, they are aggressive not semi, people just put them in the same category as other geos. But brasiliensis, especially when 7in plus, has the temperment of most central americans. Good luck with finding the fish you need

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Yellow firemouths?

I would love them! But cant find them around me. I found one place that had them online but shipping was just to much.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
IMO your 75 is fully stocked, especially if your current fish are on the young side, if so, at full adult size they could easily overwhelm that size tank.
If I were to add anything, it wouldn't be another cichlid. It would be a shoal of live bearers (like sail fin mollies or gambusia) that would not compete for territory near the substrate (where cichlids spend most time), and would spend more time in the upper areas of the water column.
These type fish would also be geographically correct, and provide the kind of dither action, that help tp make cichlids feel comfortable.
As in the video below, taken "near" the area you might find fire mouths.
Eden2

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
IMO your 75 is fully stocked, especially if your current fish are on the young side, if so, at full adult size they could easily overwhelm that size tank.
If I were to add anything, it wouldn't be another cichlid. It would be a shoal of live bearers (like sail fin mollies or gambusia) that would not compete for territory near the substrate (where cichlids spend most time), and would spend more time in the upper areas of the water column.
These type fish would also be geographically correct, and provide the kind of dither action, that help tp make cichlids feel comfortable.
As in the video below, taken "near" the area you might find fire mouths.
Eden2
Great post as always duanes duanes ! Though it’s not like you to necro threads lol.

Reactions: Covetous

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I guess I never noticed and finally looked at the date justl now, and yes it goes way back to 2014, the fish have all probably been necrotized by now, although the term is pretty obvious I had to look up necro thread in my modern terminology App for geezers, and love it, and of course now use it, ad nauseium.

Reactions: Covetous

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Your only as old as it feels .....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store