Protecting carpet/preventing mold in a bedroom?

cideon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
west texas
Going to be setting up my 55 (likely a paratilapia polleni) and 65 (jack Dempsey and something) in my bedroom and needed some advice. I thankfully will have the two tanks on a wall very close to a faucet to fill/WC and a low window to make a very happy garden with the old water. But sometimes I do spill a little water and since the tanks are on carpet, am wondering what you all do to keep it dry and not moldy underneath?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I use a mat/towels for water changes.
Keep it simple and works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cideon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
west texas
Guess I was thinking too hard and over complicating it, hehehe.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Going to be setting up my 55 (likely a paratilapia polleni) and 65 (jack Dempsey and something) in my bedroom and needed some advice. I thankfully will have the two tanks on a wall very close to a faucet to fill/WC and a low window to make a very happy garden with the old water. But sometimes I do spill a little water and since the tanks are on carpet, am wondering what you all do to keep it dry and not moldy underneath?

Hello; In my experience tanks on carpet ends poorly. In time water in enough quantity will wet the carpet and lead to problems. If it is carpet with a carpet pad underneath the moisture will likely be trapped long enough to both do damage to the floors and promote mold growth.

If the stand is one of the wooden types with a flat board at the base the moisture gets under the base and stays a long time.

I have had personal experience with such problems from my own tanks and have seen such damage from a stint for a few years as a carpet installer.

Tanks and carpet do not mix. I know a number of people put tanks on carpet, but my suggestione is do not do it.

Good luck

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
ugh, this worries me. i'm renting and my whole apartment is carpeted. its already pretty torn up so I don't feel bad, but I'm sure when I move out my damage deposit will be toast

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store