Festae Lost Her Color

Murrayt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2014
California
I have had my Festae for a few years now. Raised her from 1/2". She has always displayed great colors. Recently, she has reduced her colors dramatically. Water conditions are decent, no competition in the tank (rehomed my green terror), she's been eating normally, not noticing any parasitic/fungal growths, but she does very occasionally rub herself against the sand. I have moved the tank recently, but she started to lose her colors about 2 or 3 days before the move. All other tank mates appear to be very healthy. Only potential competition is a newly added 4" salvini, but again, her colors have been reduced even before this addition.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Could it be age? She looks big, how old is she? have you changed the decor in the tank?

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Murrayt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2014
California
She's only about 2-3 years old. Maybe 8". Yes decor has been changed, but she has a large cave for herself. Also, this color decrease went on a few days beforehand. Tank mates are: salvini, midasxparrot, and some misc fish. She's always been on top of the pecking order. No one challenges her.

fibbingbear

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2013
SoCal
From what I've read. Cichlids colors are at their brightest when they want to mate. Maybe if you introduced a male she would brighten up

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Nothing wrong with that.... she's just displaying her sub dominant coloration. Her best colors are displayed when she's being aggressive or she sees a male she fancies.

Murrayt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2014
California
Substrates been the same. I am a little concerned as I recently have heard her bumping around in her cave. Not sure if she's building a nest or if she's scratching. What sort of signs should I be looking for if something's amiss and are there any precautions I could take at this current point?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
no competition in the tank (rehomed my green terror)
That's quite possibly the reason that she colored down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store