Worst indecision ever.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Just made the change, rather cloudy; but here's the first pics. Personally I much prefer it, can already see the colours of the danios!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1419128744375.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1419128767215.jpg

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Also I have a 406 so I'm kind of crapping it, I already found sand next to the impeller when I cleaned it last time.

Nice tank!

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
Just wondering what type of black sand are you all using? I'm currently setting up my 120 gallon and will have Geophagus in there for sand sifting. I bought some play sand at home depot for cheap and have used it in my previous tanks. I would love to use black sand but don't know which to use. What type should I look into getting and how much for my 120 gallon? Thanks.

Sent from my XT1096 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
We just had a discussion on types of black sand used, over on the setup subforum. I use Black Diamond, purchased at Tractor Supply. I get the 20/40 grade. One of the complaints made against it by a poster is that it did or potentially shreds the barbs of their cory cats. My daughters have cory cats in both their tanks, and I have black diamond in theirs and their barbs are quite long and the fish are constantly getting in to something.

There are a bunch of types to use:

Black Diamond
Black Beauty
Estes bought out 3m colorquartz and thats what I used to use, and people like that as well.

For a price reference Black Diamond is 8$ for a 50 lb bag.

No matter which you get, it'll need to be rinsed out thoroughly. Every single one leaves behind a very staining residue. If you notice an oily film in the water when you first put it in, you didnt rinse it well enough. Just run a few pads of polyfilter for a week, changing each day and it'll clear out just fine, with no harm to the fish.

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
We just had a discussion on types of black sand used, over on the setup subforum. I use Black Diamond, purchased at Tractor Supply. I get the 20/40 grade. One of the complaints made against it by a poster is that it did or potentially shreds the barbs of their cory cats. My daughters have cory cats in both their tanks, and I have black diamond in theirs and their barbs are quite long and the fish are constantly getting in to something.

There are a bunch of types to use:

Black Diamond
Black Beauty
Estes bought out 3m colorquartz and thats what I used to use, and people like that as well.

For a price reference Black Diamond is 8$ for a 50 lb bag.

No matter which you get, it'll need to be rinsed out thoroughly. Every single one leaves behind a very staining residue. If you notice an oily film in the water when you first put it in, you didnt rinse it well enough. Just run a few pads of polyfilter for a week, changing each day and it'll clear out just fine, with no harm to the fish.
Yeah I was reading through that discussion. Just wanted to know if it was okay for my geos to sift through. I have ran play sand when I used to have 100 gallon with all geos of different species. But the black sand brings out the colors in fish. I read in your growing thread you just switched to black sand. How's that going for your geos? Yeah I know about washing the sand. Did 100lbs of it on my 100. Took awhile but it was so much fun watching my geos sift through the sand all day. They were always happy.

Just wondering how much black sand did you end up using on your 120? Thanks

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
i personally prefer the natural orange sand!-) black shows all the crud and white is as bad had both, ive used a fine orange kiln dried sand (as used to sand block paving) in my 35 and love it.

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
Yeah I was reading through that discussion. Just wanted to know if it was okay for my geos to sift through. I have ran play sand when I used to have 100 gallon with all geos of different species. But the black sand brings out the colors in fish. I read in your growing thread you just switched to black sand. How's that going for your geos? Yeah I know about washing the sand. Did 100lbs of it on my 100. Took awhile but it was so much fun watching my geos sift through the sand all day. They were always happy.

Just wondering how much black sand did you end up using on your 120? Thanks

They're doing great. I really need to update that thread more, but stay so busy..the only real time lately I have to sit and enjoy them is when I'm rocking my boy back to sleep. The grain on the BD happened to be smaller than the Leslie's PFS I was using prior. I used 2.5 bags for the 125 to have a comfortable substrate level, for me. I also use egg crate on the bottom to support the rocks and such so that helps give it a bit more height. Using 3 bags wouldn't hurt at all.

Being in Cali, you might have a larger selection to different types of black sand types/blasting media that you could look in to. BD is the only thing I have since 3m sold to Estes.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Really liking the change to the black sand, however, that artificial rock decor is really clashing with the darker set-up due to it overly light coloration....that's just my opinion of course

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Ad a peice of mopani dw.... will look nice and clean

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Good shout on the artificial rock. I hate the plastic stuff, its mostly a stop gap until I can get a bit of wood that affords cover for my BP's.

Could be a while before I find the perfect piece though lol.

GT's colours have really popped again on the black substrate, will get some more pics

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store