The Official Boxing Thread

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Lol that's a good one...I don't think his record will ever be broken.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
And about Marciano, You always have to ask yourself about the unbeaten in sports:

did they compete against nobody? Or make everyone look like nobody?
the former

that's the general attitude about rocky from what I've seen on boxing forums about his place on the all time greats

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
just saw the pacquiao fight

the previously undefeated algiri lost a very lopsided unanimous decision to pacman.

I don't know anything about algiri, but he was towering over pacman at the weigh ins. taller, walked in the ring 6 lbs heavier. but pacman had a small reach advantage. algiri seems to be a defensive counter puncher. he was on his bicycle all night. in the middle rounds he became more offensive and payed for it.

officially algiri suffered a wopping 6 knockdowns.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
the former

that's the general attitude about rocky from what I've seen on boxing forums about his place on the all time greats
Marciano beat both Ezzard Charles & Jersey Joe Walcot twice, both of whom were Heavy Weight Champions of the World. He also beat Joe Lewis albeit after his prime (Joe Lewis at 37 was still better then most fighters will ever be) and Archie Moore the greatest light heavyweight champion of all time (131 life time knockouts). to name a few. He also fought a great fight against Roland LaStarza who was a very good fighter and undefeated I think somthing like 37-0 at the time, had it not been for Marciano he would have most likly been Heavyweight champion himself.. The "he never beat anybody great" arguement can be said about a lot of heavyweight champions. Rocky fought and beat every contender for the title that was around while he was fighting. I watched all his title fights and he was as tough as nails, he could take anything that was thrown at him and when he landed a punch it was lights out for anybody on the reciving end. He retired 49-0 and fought and beat everyone that stepped into the ring with him. What's even more impressive is today Rocco at 5' 11" 190 lbs would be a cruser weight not a heavy weight. How many Cruser weigths do you think could have beated him if he was fighting today? If there was a cruser weight divison back then he would have held both titles for the rest of his life.

I would rate Rocky Marciano along with Jack Dempsey, Mohamid Ali, Joe Lewis & Larry Holmes/Jack Johnson (tie) the top five Heavy weight champions of all time.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
I don't know anything about rocky's career or the fighters from his era. I just know he beat an old joe lewis

but from what I've seen in discussions people don't consider him too high on the all time greats list

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
That's because half of the people on those decussion boards barly remember Ali let alone Marciano. Archie More the only fighter to face both Ali and Marciano, said Rocky would have walked through Ali. Moore was in his prime when he fought Rocco and at the end of his carrier (beyond the point when he should have retired) when he faced Ali. Ali said he was doing the closed circuit vidio taping of the great "computer fight" with a 45 year old Marciano and said "Rocky hit me on the arms and I couldn't lift them after the taping" that comming from Ali says volumes of the Rocks punching power even at 45! The Brocton Blockbuster could go toe to toe with any of them. At 190 lbs.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Anyhow....Paquiao dropped Algieri six times on his way to a unanimous decision victory.Pac and his promoter Bob Arum are once again calling out Maywesther,they are saying that the fight has to be done.Mayweather has previously stated that he does not want to deal with Arum so we will see if Arum really wants the fight to happen badly enough and steps aside from the negotiations.

hulk181

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
Cerritos CA
I really hope that fight happens. It's just going to be horrible for the future of the sport if guys can be ducking other guys like Floyd is. Boxing still makes tons of cash because of Floyd and Manny, but I think people are getting tired of waiting for the big fight and getting really tired of paying $60 for bad fights like Manny vs Algieri.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Going to be horrible for the sport?...that kind of thing is nothing new in boxing.I don't see how people still get excited about Mayweather's big money sparring matches,as for Algieri fight maybe they took had it in China because of low site bids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store