Found peacock bass!

Lambrakopoulos

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
USA
Thanks I'll stock up then as I imagine they eat alot! I'm hoping he hasn't fed them exclusively on feeders as they're 9-10" so they would probably be difficult to get onto frozen and dried foods. In the second picture it looks like one of them have a bit of HITH, is this something that is easy to treat? Could just be a bad pic though.
At this size they're as hardy as it gets. The HITH will go away over time with frequent water changes. Not uncommon at all for them to get it. They look like hybrids. Also if they're the same size as your arowana, I'd not worried about it too much as long as they're fed and look stuffed everyone will get along. Except the Oscar... that will probably take time for it to get over the fact his tank just got a bit more crowded lol they like to bully newcomers from my experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Well I just found the cause of the heavy breathing, tested the water and my ammonia is at 0.75, nitrite is 0 though. Looks like it's going to take a few days for the bacteria to catch up with the extra bioload that has been added so i'm in the process of a 75% water change now.

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Water change done and breathing is good, looks like i'll be doing 75% water changes for the next few days! The arowana is smaller than them, it's about 8" and I would estimate the bass to be around 11-12", looking at their mouths they could probably fit the aros head in if they really tried.. Rather be safe than sorry :D

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
Water change done and breathing is good, looks like i'll be doing 75% water changes for the next few days! The arowana is smaller than them, it's about 8" and I would estimate the bass to be around 11-12", looking at their mouths they could probably fit the aros head in if they really tried.. Rather be safe than sorry :D
If you do large water changes the tank will never cycle right. Just detoxify the ammonia with Prime and let the tank balance. I only do big water changes as a last resort to remove ammonia. Small changes are ok with a mini cycle.

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I thought nitrite was 0 but when I checked again it looks more like 0.25, does prime detoxify nitrite aswell? Want to make sure I do this right, would hate to lose any of these guys.

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
I thought nitrite was 0 but when I checked again it looks more like 0.25, does prime detoxify nitrite aswell? Want to make sure I do this right, would hate to lose any of these guys.
Yes it will help. Nitrite is less toxic to fish than ammonia.

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Ammonia seems to be rising slower than it was so that's a good sign. How do cichla do with aggressive CA cichlids?

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Having alot of trouble deciding on tank mates for these bass because of the size of them, my arowana is about 8" and the bass are 11-12" and they seriously looked like they were going to try and eat it before I moved it.. I'd like to try rays and bichirs but finding anything other than motoro here is almost impossible and finding bichirs other than senegalus is difficult, finding one large enough not to be eaten is proving even more difficult..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store