picky eater 75g

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Won't think it'll be an issue which ever way you go. Most of the fish mentioned should be easy to feed. Atleast would need to be fed at a different time compared to the others. But if you feed the bichirs earlier and have to feed let's say the morymrids when lights are out then should be ok. The bichirs wouldn't go after bloodworms if full of pellets if properly fed. Should be ready to go. Keep us posted. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Always have polys, no question :p yeah not sure about the elephants with knifefish

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Just read this thread, a very interesting proposition this tank, great idea and I must admit I love the stock list, plus you can't beat a group of elephant nose

That's true...a nice group of elephant fish sifting some sand would look great. An awesome start to an oddball tank.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
haha I agree guys my current 120 south American geo setup is completely bichirless. I used to have 2 large ornates in my 225 but I had to sell that tank as it didn`t even fit into my new house, it was 3ft wide...

Definately worth the group of mormyrids, I`ll have to see if I can get some kind of a wholesaler price for buying a group of them in bulk maybe...

Thank you everyone for the input, I am however unfortunately not sure when I will be setting this tank up. But rest assured it will happen and i will be sticking to the theme of hard to feed oddball predators.

The only point that I still need some advice on is when to add which fish... How should I go about setting it up? its unlikely I`ll have the money to just buy the entire stock. The gar would in my opinion absolutely be the last fish added, If I abstain from the gar I`m thinking just get some more top dwellers, group of hujetas, perhaps a chalceus or 2, I really like those guys. my old one knocked himself out and drowned.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Top dwellers be good for a while. The elephant nose last I would say. That way they know it's an established tank prior to them being introduced. The aggression and territorial issues will be subdued cause of the other fish. Water must be pristine. Plenty of hiding spots for the elephant nose by the way always needed. In case not mentioned.

I got Chalceus and they are a great training fish for gar,cudas, etc. I will be getting some cudas soon hopefully. Just need to remove some of my stock.

Keep us posted rafini.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Yeah would like to add some rocky outcrops and java fern for them, considering how they are the only mid water fish it should be fairly easy to make some accessible areas for them to hide. I was thinking of adding some clear tube in one corner going down to them bottom for the bichirs feeding area. that way the top dwellers won`t eat the pellets before they hit the bottom.

I`m pretty sure chalceus and hujeta would play well together, both species benefit from being in a group and share the same region, although I may be wrong.

I`ll make sure to keep you guys updated, I was going to add the bichirs first as then I can get them fed up and really fat before I introduce the top feeders

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If you get carnisticks for the top dwellers then shouldn't be an issue. Getting them on it shouldn't be too bad.

Then sinking pellets for the bottom dwellers. Could use a shrimp tube like for saltwater tanks. Does serve the same purpose. Easy to purchase unless you want to DIY yourself.

You could stack pvc's and color them. Then place like a fern over them and allow it to grow over them. It'll make a more natural appearance. Stacking them will keep the elephant nose together to interact but separate.

Chalceus and rocket gars won't be an issue. They do need a bit of swimming space. May need to watch your numbers for them.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Yeah I`m thinking it should be fairly easy. Any advice on a number for top dwellers?

I`m thinking of getting a 75 but I may pick up a 90 or another size between 75-110, any good suggestions? I`ve noticed fluval have some really nice show tanks that are kinda weird dimensions, like taller ones. but one was essentially a 75 but taller and possibly a little wider. when buying new the price difference would be not too much more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store