Fish At Top Of Tank

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Dechlorinators tend to smell eggy at the best of times, so I'd be inclined not to suspect expiry; could be though.

In regards to the water change and introducing fish, I've never tried it; I've found the best way is to move the ornaments and just reset all territories.

I think the likeliest issue here is the heating. You may find that once it settles to a stable level, your fish will behave normally.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Is the water aerated enough? Being that the tank is 5-6 degrees warmer there will be less oxygen in the water than at 5-6 degrees cooler.
Hmmm.. no, and the tank is well populated...

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
You said you used chlorine. Seeing as you're in CA you should use a neutralizer that also removes chloramines. Chloramines came into use to bond with chlorine which provides for a longer contact time with water.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Thanks Oddball, I have the product in front of me now. It's called AmQuel plus, removes Nitrate, Nitrite, ammonia, chlorine & chloramines.
I also use NovAqua, water conditioner and fish protector. Replaces skin slime, adds electrolytes, removes chlorine and copper.
And topfin bacteria supplement.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Is the water aerated enough? Being that the tank is 5-6 degrees warmer there will be less oxygen in the water than at 5-6 degrees cooler.
I get a lot of surface agitation though, thanks to the 2 405s under it.
On the back of the chlorine remover bottle it does say it can moderately reduce oxygen levels in the first few hours.
Another thing is I've gotten into the habit of eyeballing dosage :/
Wonder if I coulda ODd the tank, ... with old stuff. Fish are getting worse by the hr....

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
If they're getting worse, I'd be tempted to change some water if it is indeed the chemicals. Is it all of the fish, or just the new ones?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Go easy on the chlorine stuff, also the bacteria stuff you mentioned adding; I've had a cycle restart when I added stuff like that in the past. Personally I'd avoid.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Go easy on the chlorine stuff, also the bacteria stuff you mentioned adding; I've had a cycle restart when I added stuff like that in the past. Personally I'd avoid.

Ya know, I just started using it a couple months ago. Im starting to think that could be it. Another thing I noticed is the water feels much warmer, the thermometer says 80 but it sure feels warmer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store