Opinion...

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
There are several keepers here that have very unlikely tankmates with their rays from MBU to wolf fish.

Generally Jardini are considered complete assassin's around the 10" mark.

Do you agree or disagree?

Why? ( preferably with actual experience).

Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
I feel like this is one of those situations where it is touch and go... What may be working for one person you may try and have absolute failure with. Certainly other people have success with tank mates that are generally considered not compatible with Rays and others don't. It would be a very interesting combo though so I am curious to see where this thread goes and to see other experiences as well as your own! Good luck if you do decide to try it!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Almost every pic or video I see from overseas has an Asain Aro with rays... how much more aggressive are Jars vs asian?
Very valid point. I too see a lot of pics of Asians with rays and all seems well? I see Asians with a lot of other predatory fish as well other than rays. This post might get better responses in the aro section at least for the aggression part of it.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
i have been trialing a small colony of saratoga Jardini and Liechardti on my tank. They are full grown but didn't bother my rays. Jardnis seem to get a long with themselves with few stand off every now and then but nothing serious. The Liechardti variant was killed unfortunately by the Jardinis.

I have added some big bulky americans (mostly bullies and aggressive) on my tank and now they are having standoffs with my Jardinis. I'm thinking of thinning my stocks now so might just keep jardinis, rays and a few catfish and get rid of the americans.

Overall, the reputation of Jardini's being killers and lunatics are exaggerated.

On the pic I have my special jardini - jet black variant that I call - the "poor man's arowana".

image.jpg

IMG_3720.JPG

image.jpg

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
Love the deep body of the Jar.
I've kept one, it was a terror, I had to get rid in all honesty, I didn't have rays at the time but it was fine with bottom dwelling catfish.
I wouldn't be nervous with adding one to a ray tank as long as no middle, upper level inhabitants

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
from my observation, they don't like anybody swimming on the mid upper level of the tank. I think they treat it as their territory and they patrol it.

I have never seen them touch any of my bottom dwelling fish.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
They are safe for rays but look out for anything else in the tank. A close friend of mine has a 24" jar and it never bothered nothing in the tank. It just turned and killed 2 fish in his tank that were 17" plus.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Never had Rays, but my jar didn't care about anything that stayed on the bottom. Got along with a marbled pim just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store