Shark with no fins caught/released of MD coast

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I didn't read the article yet but were the fins cut off recently and, in time, will they grow back so the hark could live a normal life again?

Nope. This shark will never be normal again. 999 times out of 1,000 a finned shark will die a slow painful death on the bottom.

I can't understand why they would rather cut off their fins and discarded an entire shark. Shark meat which can be delicious and tasty.
These are protected in US waters. Taking the risk of finning is one thing for that black market, but most of these guys aren't willing to risk being caught with an entire shark.
Currently, they are IUCN listed as 'threatened', but only b/c they don't have enough data to put them on the endangered species list.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Gee MN_Rebel,I would think that as much as you get on others about collecting native fish and as knowledgeable as you are that you would be aware of the status of this species.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Gee MN_Rebel,I would think that as much as you get on others about collecting native fish and as knowledgeable as you are that you would be aware of the status of this species.
Gee, krichardson making an ASSumption so much? Not all sharks are protected by the laws and some shark species can be harvested just like other sport fish. My relatives in Florida have caught some legal sharks for their grill and claimed them to be delicious.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Not to point fingers but you ever been to a major citys china town? My mom is Japanese and ive seen many sketchy/illegal things in fish markets there but never shark fin though it doesnt surprise me in the least. I went off on a guy one time because he was selling hundreds of baby lobsters (im talking MAYBE 12" nose to tail) and with lots of friends legally making a living fishing properly this really strikes a nerve.

That being said talk about an amazing survival story huh? Wasnt it Darwin who said it wasnt the biggest or strongest to survive but the most adaptable to change?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
That being said talk about an amazing survival story huh? Wasnt it Darwin who said it wasnt the biggest or strongest to survive but the most adaptable to change?[/QUOTE]

It was indeed

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
This really grinds my gears

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com