Gymnogeophagus?

trench

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
Hello, to all.
I have visited this place many times over the past 5 years. You folks have shed much light on my curiosity of fish. I am still a complete novice and have not kept many fish for very long. I usually end up trading them in after a year. I've always been much more drawn to turtles and amphibians. That being said, I am a fan of American Cichlids and plan to keep a few for the long haul. My largest tank is a 75 gallon. Realizing that no S.A. mix has worked for me for more than a year, I am now growing a single Gold Saum from 2 inches current length in this 75 gallon. I may end up growing this fish solo in my 50 breeder instead.
I also have a 20 gal. long with a 3" albino bristlenose pleco and a tiny 3+" albino bichir. I've had store credit at my local shop for a few months so I went to get food. I saw this little Geo (labeled Geophagus sp) and couldn't resist. It's about 2 1/2". It was in a 12"x12" cube with about 30 assorted gourami and tetra mix type fish. Along with another Geo that looked just like it but was getting beat up by the one I bought. This one was also pushing other fish away from it's spot at the front of the tank. My guess, waiting for food. So, I bought it with my credit to put in this 20 long. It shows no aggression toward these other 2 mentioned fish. I didn't think it would because of the completely different appearance. It doesn't even mess with the few feeder guppies and they're tiny baby guppies. This fish is not shy. It sifts the sand non stop, stays in front of the tank, and takes the nls, spirulina and carnivore pellets great!!
I'm realizing that I really have no clue what type Geo this is. From pictures, I think it may be a Gymnogeophagus type? If anybody can help, that would be great. I'd like to know what species it is in order to keep it happy and healthy for the long term. I really want to do what's best for the longevity of my fish. I could see this fish in the 75 gallon with peaceful community fish?
In closing, thank you for any help. Feel free to encourage or criticize. I'll now try to post the pics. I hope they work, and sorry that they suck in quality.
my cichlids 001.JPGmy cichlids 002.JPGmy cichlids 003.JPG

my cichlids 001.JPG

my cichlids 002.JPG

my cichlids 003.JPG

trench

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
2 more quick night time shots, if it helps. This fish didn't even flinch from the flash...just thought it might get more food out of me. :)

my cichlids 2 001.JPG

my cichlids 2 002.JPG

Rayshot1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
California
he is def a geo ..looks a bit battered though..? possible hes getting beat up?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If it is a Gymnogeophagus, it is probably a female, and there in lies the dilema, because Gymno females are all very much alike (at least in my eyes). Other experts may be better able to tell.
I A-B'd your pic against my 3 female Gymnos and they all look very similar
below are my 3 species for you to compare
Gymnogeophagus quilero female

quilero male

Gymno sp paso pache male front female behind

Gymnogeophagus balzani females left and center, male upper right

trench

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
Thanks. It may look beat up from the pictures?? But, all I see is a belly that should be thicker. It has no visual issues besides that. All fins and scales look perfect. Am I missing something? As I said, it was in a small, packed tank at the shop, but it was the bully. And neither the b.n. pleco nor the tiny one-eyed bichir that i have with it are being aggressive.

abarilot

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
By the Beach!
It does look female to me as well. I'd say its a female Gymnogeophagus labiatus, since it has a striped caudal fin. G. australis and G. gymnogenys have spotted caudal fins.

trench

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
^ Thank you for your input as well. I was guessing female from my crude understanding of rounded fins. And the lack of color at 3". I'm surprised that I came far enough on my own the question the infamous (Geophagus sp.) label that it was sold under. It's doing great so far after 4 days.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
It might very likely be Gymnogeophagus australis. Notice the vertical barring and the other features of pattern and coloration. Here's a pic of one. This pic is from the internet.

australis.jpg

abarilot

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
By the Beach!
It might very likely be Gymnogeophagus australis. Notice the vertical barring and the other features of pattern and coloration. Here's a pic of one. This pic is from the internet.
Jim I respectfully disagree. From looking at pictures from the Cichlid Room Companion and on Felipe's site (http://aqvaterra.com/cichlids_australis_constitucion.php), all G. australis have a spotted caudal (tail) fin. The pictures from the OP are striped, at least to my eyes so that makes me think G. labiatus. Also I'm not sure the picture you grabbed from the internet is correctly labeled. The only thing that makes me hesitate on my ID, is the vertical barring on the flank of the body. Trench is the caudal fin on your fish striped or spotted? Maybe the flash from the camera is washing out the spots.

Btw once we figure this out you should get a male for her, I've attached a pic of a male G. australis I caught a little over a year ago. Unfortunately we caught no females on that trip.

154419_448777621845345_628254017_n.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store