Wyckii Or Wyckioides?

Reel Em In AquaticTrading

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Blackburn, England
Ok here's the thing.

We sell American Cichlids to the public, we taken into consideration how notoriously messy they are at eating so we decided to bring in some larger specimen catfish to help clean up. We decided on sticking to American fish and thought Red Tail Cats would be ideal as they come from the same river as our larger cichlids (Peacock Bass & Oscars.) The place we ordered from had ran out of Amazon Red Tails and told us they would sub with Asian Red Tails (Insert Sarcastic *yayyy* here.) Upon arrival the fish where labelled Wyckii and were all black, bar the whiskers, which are white.

These guys were Jet Black on arrival but have since gone a little paler towards the rear end which I assume could be the Red forming. I would just like a dead certain ID on them so nothing bad comes back to me if I was to sell them under the name Wyckii. Even though that's the name on the label when we got them.

This is the best picture I could get due to their size. They are still rather small, biggest being around 2" if that.

Cheers in advance Guys/Gals.

Wyckii Or Wykiodes.jpg

Wyckii Or Wykiodes.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Not sure but if you have them in a tank with cichlids as a cleaner then you're in for it. Two things, one they make more mess than they clean and two they'll probably wind up murduring most tankmates as they grow.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
It strikes me that everything you've listed as "cleaners" will be quite good at cleaning your tank out of cichlids. The fish you've been considering would be apex predators in a cichlid community.

As to the fishbin question, we'll need Mich better pics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wayne the pain

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
Manchester, UK
Wyckioides - they always have white maxillary barbels, Wyckii do not at this size, and rarely do as a adult :)

Reel Em In AquaticTrading

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Blackburn, England
I know lol, cheers. Everyone is under the impression I brought these in to be in my cichlid tanks full time. Fact of the matter is they are here until they get bigger and then moving on the the people who like them. Some are already getting some fat bellies from the prawn they are feeding on lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store