algae question/problem!! Desperate

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
UV will not help surface algae. I personally would replace those large white stones with somthing smaller and darker. Your bass is stressed.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To me, that tiny bit of green algae in your tank is a sign of a healthy environment, and makes a tank look more natural.
Algae helps control nitrate, in order to be completely devoid of algae, a tank would need to have a jungle of plants that out compete the algae for nitrates.
Or more frequent water changes would need to be done, not 75% each time, but many more than once per week to reduce nitrate to almost 0ppm.
I doubt your shrimp will last long enough to make a dent.
Cenote Cristallino below, has very light colored rocks where algae is constantly grazed on by mollies, and yet still lots of algae.

KingofAliens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Suriname,Paramaribo
Thanx guys for all your good opinions /possible solutions.

Ghost shrimp will be thr cleaning team for the biggest part.

Sent from my LT18i using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

KingofAliens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Suriname,Paramaribo
Also I just did a 75% water change and siphoned out all the uneaten food and fish poop so less nutrients for the algae.

Scrubbed the fee stones that had algae and put back in tank.

Tanks looks awesome&clean again.

KingofAliens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Suriname,Paramaribo
UV will not help surface algae. I personally would replace those large white stones with somthing smaller and darker. Your bass is stressed.
How to recognize if my pbass are really stressed???

The photo of them wad during their "sleeping" time and after just adding the powerhead that's why they sat on the bottom otherwise the swim like a lot and eat also good.

They eat like 20 pellets twice a day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store