DIY down and dirty 90g/40b sump on the cheap (ballin' on a budget)

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I was really frustrated during the set up. Its hard to set a tank like this up against the wall. I built it in an open room with 360* access. We kept having to move the stand and tank because "I forgot something" and it was too close to the wall. The whole time I was cursing this whole thing wishing I never did it, wanting it to be done, never doing another build, etc. but once it was done I sat back and looked at the fish and all my negative feelings faded away.

My advice: keep it simple. I tried but I cannot. I condemn German cars because they are needlessly over engineered, and here I am with this tank. Lol. Hypocrite.

The quality of my craftsmanship slowly diminished towards the end. The wife made me set a deadline, now I normally dont negotiate with terrorists but with a baby due in 6 weeks I complied. I was rushed, worked on it until 3am the night before tank-day, and woke up at 6am the following morning to greet my friends who were tasked with helping me on this monumental task that lasted many hours.

Only a few hangups in the install
1) the stupid stand weighed over 200lbs and was in the basement where it was built.
2) one bulkhead leaked, I was too exhausted to tackle it last night, it seems to have "worked it self out". The slow drip stopped
3) after setting EVERYTHING up - just before adding water I realized the cord for my led lights was under the stand :banghead:

Some more afters.

uploadfromtaptalk1416238090281.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1416238107676.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1416238126406.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1416238143532.jpg

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
uploadfromtaptalk1416238226403.jpg
By the dog's nose I put a little trap door in for feeding my fry/juveniles, because hey you know whos gonna open the cover for the sump? Those little guys are gonna starve otherwise

The air pumps make more noise than the mag9.5 or the overflow. So im happy with the decibels. The tank is in my kitchen/dining room area.

uploadfromtaptalk1416238291483.jpg
Here's the daycare for the little guys. I've got a bunch of small hollow cichlid stones in there, I may put some of my extra 1.5" pvc fittings in there for caves. Also theres 4 box filters in there full of biomax just because.

uploadfromtaptalk1416238440675.jpg
Diy moon lights and my Marineland fixture.

Next project is the canopy.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Been up for a week no issues. The filter floss made it 6 days before almost clogging. The tank is clearer than any tank ive ever owned. The pictures from my phone dont do it justice. The fish look like they are floating in air.
uploadfromtaptalk1416725841439.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1416725876528.jpg

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Turned out great. LOL on the terrorist comment and congrats on the future mudbuttjones jr
Thanks man!

We're expecting the little girl soon.

Check out the awesome changes I made to my basement fish room in the preparation of her arrival!

uploadfromtaptalk1416804687998.jpg

Look at that fish room! Too cool!

Haha.

I'm debating whether or not to start the canopy this week.

Im making some minor changes to the inside of the stand, im worried about humidity issues

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store