Best Way to move fish tanks

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Well gentlemen, thinks went about as bad as they could possible go. I lost all but one of my tanks during the move. My 55 gallon for my Redfin pickerel was knocked over my wife great dane in the driveway when packing. Luckily i had the pickerel in a ten gallon at the time for transportation, had my daughters goldish with him as well. I gave my twenty gallon long away(wife made me downsize 20gl was the largest i would willingly get rid of. My 220 had a metal rod for drapes blast through the center of it. Luckily i still had my 75 intact or so i thought until i started filling it back up and realized i had broken edge at the about 6 inches up from the bottom. I ended up taking my gar and plants to the local Jacks pet store which I turn tried to convince them to hold them for a fee. However do to company policy they would not do this, so i ended up "donating" them. I told them they should only go to or up, someone with a 75 g or up. However i imagine they sold them to the first person who wanted them as two days later they were already "rehomed". I havnt given up on the hobby however it is still my passion and i still have my redfin pickerel. However unfortunately he ate all of my daughters goldfish. Just wanted to give everyone an update. Worst disappointment i've had in a long while and admittedly i considered giving up the hobby. However i have found myself drawn back into it. Ill keep everyone posted as the the rebuilding progress.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Sorry to hear so with so much bad luck. What did you do honestly? Not sure how you didn't pack them better to keep them safe

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Honestly other than the dog running into the 55G it could have all been avoided. I had the 225 wrapped in bubble wrap , i put the couch cushions in it. moving blanket under it and strapped it the wall with etrack. the 75g was originally planned to go in the back seat of my wife's SUV, however we originally planned on taking the dane down the day prior and coming back for the tank and the truck the following day. Really it was a lack of funds that caused these issues. The original idea was to use one of my company 26 ft straight trucks. However the axle snapped on it three days prior to moving. I could only afford a 20 ft box truck from u haul after the moving expenses and down deposit for new place. I had to overpack and cram it to get everything in there. Ended up leaving my washer and dryer behind(old anyways), as they wouldn't fit. My wife wanted new ones anyways, i told her we leave them behind for the tanks and id get here some new HE washer dryer. I should have left the tanks and kept the washer and dryer lol. Could have gotten a massive tank for the prices those things were. Bad luck on my part with the truck, however poor planning as I should have bad a better backup plan.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Definitely understand mate. Well best of luck and too bad about the fish. Would have loved to hold them for you until you found new housing.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
that's just a bad bad move man, Being the greedy SOB I am I would not have given up my stock, would have grabbed some rubber maid bins or a stock tub to buy me some time. On the bright side rebuilding our stock cane fun

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Man alive I thought my luck was bad.

Sorry it went so rough and you lost your Gars over the deal.
To be honest sounds like the Fish store threw it in you to get your fish.
Wouldn't fish sit but willing to take a "donation?" Sounds Fishy

Glad my LFS has the opposite policy he's currently fish sitting a FAT PILE of salt water fish for a customer that had a tank crash.

Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store