are my current filters enough for my 125gal

jonjoncreole1989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2014
United States
Hello my fellow m.fish keepers. My main tank is a 125gal, I used to house alligator gars but I rehomed them. Now I have 11 red belly piranhas, about 2inch long.

Currently I have a marineland 350 hob filter and a magnum 350 canister filter, filled with seachem matrix. I have comming in the mail 2 rena xp3 filters but I want to save one for my 55gal, do you guys think 1 xp3, 1mag 350 and a 350 penguin are enough with out using my 2nd xp3 because I want to move 4 of the r.bellies to a 55gal and use the extra xp3 on that one

Aquadestroyer2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2012
Minnesota
I would say that should be good for now and you will have to see how it goes later on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
The Marineland Magnums are rated at 100 gallons each. You've got some high waste fishes, but with regular water changes, it seems like a good set-up. I'd use it myself.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It's not really a simple question, because filters are only as good as how often you clean them.
If you rinse out the mechanical media every couple days, you may be able to use a few.
If you have 100 filters, but let them clog up, and thus not remove nitrates, then 100 filters can be not enough.
Not cleaning out nitrate precursors (crud) is like sweeping dirt under a rug.
The bad stuff is still in the water, might be invisible, but its the invisible stuff that's bad for the fish. And....
Filtration and current are not one in the same.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Those 3 filters for 7 x 2" fish will be just fine. A single XP3 on a 55 for 4 x 2" fish will be fine also. Just keep a good maintenance/cleaning schedule and you should have no problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store